CHAPTER 16 | ANIELA

Axel was up before dawn and was making his way out of the dormitory and to the training center when he spotted the colonel standing in the center of the open area surrounded by the three buildings. Unlike how he had been in the previous days, Rae was only in an undershirt and a pair of black cargo pants likely found in the rangers' storage. Without his combat gear and bulletproof vest, Rae's full height and fit body could be clearly seen.

The undershirt fit a bit snuggly on the colonel's body, showcasing his strong arms and chest. The colonel's back was to Axel as the hangel carefully approached his commanding officer. Axel gazed in awe at the colonel's wide back and soft, brown hair that fanned against the caramel skin of his neck. Looking down at his small body, Axel gulped at the contrast between him and the colonel.

Although he naturally had a nice frame with rather wide shoulders, Axel's arms and legs were skinny, and his body was untrained. Though he was not considered short, standing next to the colonel certainly made Axel feel small.

Rae remained silent as Axel came to stand just behind him. Turning to face the hangel, Rae looked at Axel's untrained body and studied the boy's form before stepping forward and extending his arm. Looking at the unsheathed blade in the colonel's hand, Axel quickly looked back up at Rae. Does he want me to take his sword? 

Rae had been standing with his sword and its scabbard in either hand as he waited for Axel. Now that the hangel had arrived, it was time to begin his training. "Take it," Rae said in his deep voice as he continued to offer the blade to the hangel.

Reaching out, Axel accepted the blade. However, the moment Rae let go of the sword, the weight of it caused Axel to immediately lower it. The tip of the blade sunk into the earth beneath Axel, and his eyes widened. It's so heavy! How does he fight with this?!

To say the sword weighed more than Axel had expected would be an understatement. It was the heaviest thing he had ever held. And he was supposed to become strong enough to wield one of his own!

"You will be training with my sword. His name is Genyr. Treat him well, and he will serve you." Rae held up the scabbard in his hand in gesture to his choice of weapon. "When you are ready, you will fight me with Genyr."

I'm going to fight him with his own sword? Axel furrowed his brows as concern crept its way into his heart. But what if I hurt him? He doesn't have anything to defend himself with. 

"Do not fret," Rae said. He could assume what thoughts were racing through Axel's mind at that moment. "You won't be able to touch me."

Rae's words did comfort Axel, but they also made him admire the colonel all the more. However, the colonel's next words sent chills down Axel's spine.

"The day you do will be the day you enter battle."

I'm going to have to hurt you in order to enter the war? What kind of training is this?!

"To begin, you will learn the basics of sword wielding. Aniela will be teaching you this." Gesturing to the lieutenant who had just arrived, Rae nodded at Aniela as she bowed to her colonel in greeting. "You have until midday to pick up the sword and begin learning the basics."

With that, Rae tossed his scabbard to Aniela, who caught it effortlessly, and left the open area of the camp. Axel watched Rae return to the main hall where his workspace was before turning to Aniela.

"I don't think I've formally introduced myself," Aniela said warmly as she approached Axel. "Lieutenant Aniela of Unit R, Team R-11, Warrior Class."

The two exchanged nods as the hangel introduced himself. "Axel."