CHAPTER 26 | A GRAND MISSION

Once the sun had fully set, Unit K-4 silently went to the roof of the parking garage where a military speed craft was waiting. The city had already been scorched by Hades, so the majority of the demon forces had moved on. However, the unit still needed to proceed with caution in case any lingering demons were nearby. Major Iero kept his weapon ready for fire as he carefully led his unit to the roof.

When all the members of his unit were on the roof, Iero gave the go-ahead for the pilot to power on the speed craft. While the pilot readied the craft, the rest of the unit quickly boarded and prepared for take-off. Being a craft of humble size, seating was limited, so several of Maelynn's teammates just grabbed ahold of the handlebars positioned throughout the craft.

Kilo and Castyr made sure to stay close to Axel as the unit and its guests piled into the speedcraft. After making sure everyone had successfully boarded, Unit K-4's pilot closed the door to the craft and cautiously took flight. Axel tightened his grip around the handlebar as the craft lifted into the air and sped up toward the clouds. Having trained for months, Axel's core strength had improved tremendously, so it was not much of a task for the hangel to keep his balance even though the craft was speeding toward the sky at a sickeningly fast pace.

After several seconds of racing to the sky, the craft finally leveled out and set a course for the city of Daedoeshi. As the city was located in the eastern region, it would normally take five hours to fly from the western region to the east with the world's advanced flight crafts, but with the military-grade speed ship, it would take a mere three hours.

"Take-off was successful. No signs of a tail. Leveling off now." The pilot announced the status of the flight as he set the craft into auto flight and leaned back to rest in his chair. The pilot remained in the control center to keep an eye on their surroundings and ensure no demon warcrafts were in pursuit.

"Take a rest, people. We'll be touching down in three hours," Major Iero said to his unit as he released his grip on one of the handlebars and went to the control center to study their flight path.

Maelynn let out the breath she had been holding during the intense take-off and swiveled her head to her right to look at the three she had met earlier that day. Kilo was standing directly next to her with Axel beside him and Castyr on the other side of the hangel. The angel and his star were very protective over their youngest team member. Maelynn had heard of the heavenly forces being extremely loyal to their fellow soldiers, but she had not expected it to be to this extent.

All the while the three were with Maelynn and her unit, Kilo and Castyr had made sure to always be surrounding Axel. The lieutenant also noticed that the two experienced soldiers were always tuned in to their 'vernal'. Maelynn wondered if this continuous security was due to their sense of duty or if there was something special about the hangel the angel and star were trying to protect.

Either way, Maelynn was awed by Kilo and Castyr's sense of duty to their vernal. Humans also shared a sense of duty to serve and protect their fellow soldiers, but Maelynn had yet to observe it to the extent of Kilo and Castyr's. Recalling Kilo's request to help him and his two companions reach Daedoeshi and his statement of wishing to meet with Devyn Vaumyr, Maelynn decided to see if she could find out more about the angel's intentions. She was curious about the three. There was something about them and their mission that intrigued Maelynn.

While she was aware that it was intrigue for two strangers that caused her uncle to nearly lose his life, Maelynn guessed this curiosity ran in the family because she found herself paying no heed to the caution alarm blaring in her mind. Instead, she ignored it and followed the curiosity that filled her heart.

"So...why do you want to meet Devyn Vaumyr?" She asked cautiously. She did not remember Kilo ever disclosing his reasoning for wanting to meet Devyn Vaumyr, so she wondered how much information she would be able to get out of the angel. Kilo seemed to be the very definition of calm, cool, and collected, so Maelynn doubted she would be able to learn much. But it was worth a shot, right?