CHAPTER 23 | WHEN HEAVEN MEETS HADES

"Colonel!" Makio exclaimed as he rushed to his unit leader. "They just keep coming!" The young angel informed as he regrouped with the majority of Unit R.

The surrounding forest was completely engulfed in flames, and the base was burning to the ground. Rae had taken his unit and was retreating into the forest, and Makio had just returned from a fast but dangerous flight to determine how many enemies were on their tail. With Makio's daunting observation, Rae racked his brain for a way out of the burning forest.

Unit R had traveled to Earth via the Transport Tower that was currently overtaken by Hades, so the unit had no means of air travel except for the members' wings. However, flying from the forest in the current situation would be a death sentence. They did not have the protection a hovercraft would provide and would be easy targets for the demon craft currently setting the forest aflame from the sky. The other three rovers had unfortunately been blasted during the fight at the base, so that was not an option.

Rae furrowed his brows as he looked up through the trees and watched as a few demon crafts flew overhead. A possible escape path then entered his mind. "Azyr and I will commandeer a ship. The rest of the unit will continue to push through the trees," Rae instructed.

Makio's eyes widened at the colonel's plan. That's a suicide mission! Makio moved to suggest the unit remain as one and continue retreating through the woods, but Lt. Colonel Azyr nodded at Rae's plan and drew his dual swords as he addressed the unit, "Do not wait for us. If we are successful, we will find you."

The members of Unit R were all concerned for their two leaders as Rae and Azyr spread their wings and took to the sky. However, there was little time to waste, so the moment Rae and Azyr flew over the tops of the trees, Sinjae spoke up. "We need to keep moving. Colonel's orders. Let's go!"

With the instructions of Lt. Colonel Sinjae, the remainder of Unit R spurred into action and quickly followed the blue-haired angel deep into the woods. While Sinjae led the unit through the trees, Rae and Azyr swirled through the air, avoiding bullets and flames flying toward them as they raced toward a demon warcraft located at the edge of the air raid.

Cover me. Instructing Azyr to be his wingman, Rae lifted himself high above the air raid. Spreading his wings wide, Rae hovered for a second before folding his wings and diving toward his target. As he neared the craft he and Azyr had singled out, Rae used Genry to pierce the top of the hovercraft as it zoomed beneath him.

Getting a solid anchor into the hovercraft, Rae held on for dear life as the craft flew over the burning forest below. Folding his wings to prevent himself from being blown away, Rae turned Genyr and cut a circle into the top of the hovercraft. Blazing bullets immediately shot out of the hole Rae had just cut, but the angel easily deflected them with his sword. 

Jumping through the hole, Rae immediately spurred into action, sending Genyr flying around the craft serving the necks of the four demons manning the craft. Instantly rushing to the command center of the craft, Rae took over the piloting settings and told Azyr that it was safe to join him. I've commandeered the ship. Let's go get the others.

Hearing the colonel's words, Azyr quickly flew to the craft and jumped into the hole as Rae stalled it for a moment before pointing it toward the forest and diving for the trees. Three other demon crafts pursued the commandeered ship toward the forest, firing at it continuously. Being a trained pilot, Rae spun the craft to avoid the bullets as he continued to dive for the woods.

"They're gaining on us!" Azyr warned as he hurried to the ship's blaster and began firing at their pursuers. As Azyr began shooting at the demon crafts, a string of bullets grazed the side of the ship he and Rae had commandeered. Feeling the impact of the bullets, Rae swerved the ship to the right to avoid a blast from a second demon craft.

Looking through the hologram that showed the scope of the ship's weapon, Azyr furrowed his brows as he saw a massive group of ships zooming toward the air raid. Recognizing the design and make of the spaceships, Azyr exclaimed with excitement, "It's air support from HDD!"

Rae whipped his head back when he heard Azyr's announcement. With the appearance of HDD forces, Rae knew he and Azyr would need to be careful to not be blown up with the other demon crafts. Luckily, the crafts who were charging after them halted their pursuit and turned back to confront the large amount of angelic ships.

Rae let out a breath of relief as he watched their pursuers turn around. They could now focus on rescuing the unit while the support from HDD fought the air raid.

Sinjae, find a clearing in the trees. Azyr and I got a ship. Upon sending Sinjae the 'go ahead' to bring the unit to a suitable pick-up spot, Rae steered the ship toward where the unit had been heading beneath the tips of the trees. Explosions broke out above them as Rae and Azyr flew toward the trees. Looking at the hologram that depicted the rear view of the ship, Azyr watched with tired eyes as the silver ships of HDD open fired on the black demon ships.

Sighing, Azyr prayed for his fellow angels as the battle began. Heaven has met Hades.

The ships from HDD greatly outnumbered the demon forces, so Rae figured the battle would not last long, and he hoped to have his unit loaded up and on their way out of Nature's Preserve by the time the battle was done no matter the outcome. Therefore, he was constantly checking in with Sinjae regarding the unit's location as they continued to move toward a place where the craft could land.

As the unit searched for an opening, Rae circled over the area of their approximate location, so he would be ready to lower beneath the tops of the trees at a moment's notice. 

We've found a clearing, Colonel. Hearing Sinjae's relay, Rae immediately steered the ship to the location that Sinjae sent him. As they neared the clearing, Azyr fired down at the demon troops that were pursuing the unit on the ground. When the majority of the demon soldiers had been eliminated, Rae lowered the ship into the clearing and immediately lifted the hatch the moment it touched down.

As the craft lowered toward the ground, the remainder of Unit R emerged from the trees and began racing toward the commandeered ship. It did not take long for the unit to pile onto the craft, so they were back in the air within the next minute.

The moment Makio sat against the hull of the craft, a single tear rolled from his eye. Throughout the fight at the base and the retreat through the trees, the unit had lost three members.

Seraphine...

Nivii...

Iris...

All three being part of the unit's younger members, Makio had grown close to each of them. Their deaths were like shards of glass that pierced through the young angel's heart.

The more experienced members of the unit watched over Makio with sadness in their eyes as they silently mourned the loss of their three teammates. Although the unit was exhausted from hours of fighting and retreating, now was not the time to mourn. Azyr pointed that out by announcing they had been spotted by four ships from the HDD.

Rae slowed the craft when he heard Azyr's warning and turned to face the four heavenly crafts. Having Sinjae take over piloting the craft, Rae then climbed through the hole he had cut on the top of the ship. Standing on top of the hovering ship, Rae waited for the four ships to surround them.

It did not take long for the heavenly ships to reach the commandeered demon craft. Seeing a man standing on the ship kept them from merely opening fire and leaving upon eliminating the enemy. Instead, they closed in to inspect the strange behavior.

I am Colonel Rae, Commander of Unit R and Angel of the HDD. Hear my voice and know that we are friends. 

Silence followed Rae's telepathic announcement. As he did not know who was piloting the four ships, Rae kept his announcement broad and hoped whoever was on the ships would hear it. To Rae's relief, he was answered by a voice he recognized.

We hear you, Colonel. This is General Adira of Unit C of the HDD. We will transfer you and your unit onto one of our ships for inspection.

General Adira was one of the few actaeon class of angels who could 'transfer' both heavenly weapons and angels to any location of their choosing, so Rae knew he and his unit had finally reached safety.