CHAPTER 20 | THEY'RE COMING

"How are you?" Makio's voice was what broke the silence that had settled over him and Axel. Seraphine, who walked in front of the two males, heard Makio's inquiry, but she did not react as she knew his question was not for her. Seraphine continued walking between the trees as Axel turned his gaze to the green-eyed angel.

"I'm fine," Axel responded quietly after a moment before returning Makio's question. "How are you?"

Makio nodded at Axel's response and gave the hangel a small smile. "All healed."

It had been two days since Axel and Makio's intense training session, and it was R-10's turn to send three of its members to scout the camp's perimeter for the night. Having rested for the past few days, Makio and Axel volunteered to join Seraphine in guarding the border of the small base. The three had been walking in silence for a good while before Makio made his inquiry, and they soon returned to inspecting the border quietly after checking in on one another.

"Have you been practicing your telepathy?" It was now Seraphine who broke the silence. However, as Axel looked up at her, he saw that she had not turned toward him and was still facing forward while continuing to guard the border. Her long, pink hair had been styled up in a high ponytail, and she was dressed in a white shirt and black cargo pants like the others in the unit.

Axel had always admired Seraphine's concentration and intensity with which she fought and trained. He had had the opportunity to spar Seraphine a few times throughout the past months, and each time, Axel gained invaluable skills and techniques merely by fighting her.

"Ae, but...I'm still not able to hear clearly. And I can't send any messages. No one can hear me," Axel promptly responded.

"But you've mastered telekinesis?" Seraphine's hand flowed to her back as she relayed her question. Axel had turned his check an area to his left as she said this, so he did not realize what the pink-haired was preparing to do.

"For the most part, b-" Before Axel could finish his sentence, Seraphine drew her sword from her back and threw it toward Axel as she twirled around to face him.

Woah! Axel's eyes widened as he saw the bright sword flying toward him. Using his telekinesis, Axel quickly connected with the sword and stopped it from flying into his skull just as it reached him. Although Seraphine had used her telekineses while throwing her sword — so it would not have harmed Axel had he not stopped it — she was still impressed with the immediate response Axel had demonstrated.

Axel's chest heaved up and down as he stared at the tip of Seraphine's blade as it hovered just before his eyes. That was close!

"Now, send it back to me." Seraphine stood still as she instructed Axel to return her sword. "Use your mind to return Crestyn."

Hearing Seraphine's command, Axel bowed his head in acceptance of the order before focusing on the blade that was still floating in front of him. Releasing a slow breath, Axel concentrated on the bright blade and wielded it to fly back to its master. During this time, Seraphine had not commanded her sword to do anything and allowed Axel full control of her blade.

Seraphine's lips curled into a proud smile as Crestyn turned around and flew back to her. Reaching out, Seraphine caught Crestyn as the sword reached her and promptly returned the sword to her body before nodding in approval toward the hangel. "Well done, Axel."

"Impressive!" Makio held out a thumbs-up and nodded toward Axel as the hangel brought his heartbeat back to its normal speed. He had not been expecting to have a sword fly toward him at amazing speed, so to say he was shocked and rattled by Seraphine's sudden actions would be an understatement.