CHAPTER 18 | I HEAR YOU

What was that? Axel furrowed his brows as he stared at the empty space where the man had stood just moments before. As suddenly as the figure had appeared, he immediately vanished in the blink of an eye.

In that split moment, Axel had gained a breath's length of time to observe who or what was standing before him. The man had Axel's voice and looked just like himself but older. He was a mature version of Axel with large, white wings folded lazily against his back and a white glow emitted from him.

Axel swiveled his head to see where the man had gone, however, he saw that he was once again alone. Lowering his head and noticing the rock that he had placed on the ground, Axel recalled what the man had said to him before he had appeared.

"You cannot merely unlock your abilities in an instant." 

What did he mean by that?  Axel released a long breath as he closed his eyes and extended his hand back out toward the rock. I cannot unlock my abilities in an instant. I guessed as much...but, I have to try.

Keeping his eyes shut, Axel once again focused on the rock and mentally debated on how to make it levitate. How does this whole ability thing work? After causing the concrete wall to splinter and pierce the rabid demons that were closing in on him, Axel had yet to use his heavenly abilities.

"That's not going to move it." Unlike the voice Axel had heard just minutes prior, this voice was deep and real. It was not in his mind.

Lowering his hand, Axel turned to see the colonel standing on the edge of the grove with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Colonel," Axel greeted with a bow of his head as Rae uncrossed his arms and began walking toward him.

Several guns and knives were strapped to the colonel's thigh, waist, and calves, indicating he was prepared to fend off enemies at a moment's notice. He was dressed in the same tight shirt and black cargo pants he had been wearing earlier that day except now, there were streaks of dirt that stained both his arms and his shirt. He had been sparring with Kilo and Castyr to pass the time before deciding to track down the runaway hangel.

Makio had gone to Rae with the report that Axel was missing from the base, and Rae had immediately departed into the dense woods in search of the curious hangel. Though they were in a secluded area, Rae could leave nothing to chance and needed to make sure Axel was well and safe.

Finding the hangel trying his best to control the stone, Rae watched Axel's well-intended struggles before deciding to intervene and offer his help.

"Focus first on connecting," Rae said as he reached the hangel. "We are able to move objects beyond ourselves because we can connect to them. Everything has its own energy pattern. Living beings, objects, nature...everything emits some form of energy. Those with stronger, denser patterns are easier to connect with, and so easier to manipulate."

"You need to understand how your energy flows, what your pattern is. That is how you begin to feel and sense everything around you." Taking Axel's hand, Rae placed it against his chest as he added, "Feel my breaths. They are a part of my pattern and help me connect with everything around me."

Axel watched as Rae closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. As the angel exhaled, both the rock Axel had placed, and all the surrounding rocks began to rise from the ground. Eyes widening, Axel looked around at all the floating rocks in awe. Wow...he did that so easily.

The rocks fell back down as Rae opened his eyes and severed his connection to them. Taking Axel's hand once again, Rae carefully spun Axel around so the hangel was facing away from him. Placing his hand over Axel's eyes, Rae closed the hangel's eyelids before gently pressing Axel down toward the ground.