CHAPTER 32 | RETURN TO HARLIM

Adira was silent as she locked eyes with the angel standing before her. "I cannot allow that," she stated after a tense moment passed between the two. "You are needed in Heaven."

"I am needed by my unit." Rae's voice was strong as he restated his desire.

"Grand Colonel Hendry has agreed to take on the hangel, not Unit R itself," Adira clarified. "This matter has already been resolved. The hangel will go to Harlim with Hendry and his unit."

"Axel is a member of Unit R-"

"No, Rae, he's not," Adira cut off the blue-eyed angel before adding, "I approved the transfer this morning."

Rae closed his eyes and released a breath in reaction to the news of Axel's transfer to Unit K. Rae was no longer Axel's commanding officer, so keeping him from being shipped off to Harlim was now out of his range of influence. There was now only one other way to ensure Axel's safety, and Rae did not hesitate to pursue it.

"Send me to Harlim." Rae's voice was stern as he told Adira what he wanted. Considering Adira's reluctance to send him to Harlim, Rae knew he would need to show a bit of force if he was to get what he wanted. "Unit R will fight alongside Unit K."

Adira's brow twitched slightly in reaction to Rae's demand. The general's eyes slanted as she studied Rae before replying, "Hendry has more than enough support to go with him to Harlim. Now that he has the hangel, all he needs is to unlock Angel's Landing. Unit R would be wasted in the fight at Harlim."

"That is not guaranteed."

Adira released a sharp breath when Rae continued to push back. "I understand your point, Rae, but-"

"There is not a thing in this universe that can drag me back to Heaven while soldiers are still dying in Harlim as we speak." The angel then took a step toward the general before adding, "Do not overestimate your influence over me...General."

With that, Rae turned from Adira and marched out of her office. Adira watched with slanted eyes as Rae exited the room before reaching down and picking up her cup of tea that had gone cold. As the general watched Rae leave her, she was reminded of her ardor for the man. She admired Rae's resolve to protect those he loved. He loved his unit and was willing to do anything to protect its members.

However, Adira was bothered by the colonel's attachment to Unit R's newest member. She had yet to see Rae be so fond of someone. Even when Kilo and Castyr returned to Heaven to care for Rae after his near-death incident, Rae was not as caring toward them as he now was to the half-angel.

Who is he to you, Rae? Adira sipped from her cup as she contemplated the hangel's relation to the colonel. Why do you care for a mere half-angel?

+++++++

Two soldiers continuously escorted Axel as he was assimilated into Unit K. Hendry had officially assigned the two soldiers to care for Axel and assist him should he require aid. But Axel sensed that the underlying reason for the continuous presence of the two soldiers was for another purpose. Hendry feared that Rae would persuade Axel to return to Unit R, so he ordered the soldiers to keep an eye on the hangel and ensure he remained with Unit K.

Nearly immediately after joining Hendry and becoming a member of Unit K, Axel was placed on a speed ship and sent over to Harlim. Since he had not been able to telepathically connect with anyone after his conversation with Rae while Nature's Preserve was being attacked, Axel was unable to receive updates concerning whether or not Kilo and Castyr had been released. He could only hope Hendry kept his word and set them free.

As Axel sat between the two soldiers stationed on each side of him, the realization dawned on him that it had been only one day since he left on a speed ship heading to Daedoeshi. And now he was on a ship heading back to Harlim where it all began. The thought of returning to the war-torn city that was once his home caused the traumatic memories of the first week of the war to resurface.