twenty-one

Instead of being up front at the fight, Shawn told me to wait in the locker room for him. I didn't mind. It gave me some time to catch up on some interior design idea's for the house in Chicago. Pinterest and Tumblr gave me really good ideas for the living room, bathroom, yard, and bedroom. Before I could re-blog another post, the numbers that construed to my mother popped up onto the screen.

"Jasmine! There's a package here for you at the house." My mother says in a cheerful tone.

"I haven't ordered anything from Amazon recently." I tell her. "Who or where is it from?"

"It's from a university."

"Which one?"

"Roosevelt University."

"Mom, okay, do me a favor. Open the package."

"Why don't you just come over tomorrow? If you want I'll have your brother drop it off."

"Yeah, do that. Paige is home."

"And where are you?"

"Out with Shawn. We - uh - we're at dinner. He went to the bathroom real quick." I lie. The screams from the match outside echo through the halls.

"What's with the screaming?" She asks me.

"We're at a Sports Bar. There's a Hockey game on."

"I spoke with Selma and Matthew earlier. I'm not sure if she told you, but the wedding has been moved from Rhode Island to the Hampton's. Matthew's mother nearly threw a fit when she found out."

"Yeah, she did mention that. Why the change?"

"Matthew wanted to marry where he spent his childhood summers."

The screams down the hall echo even louder. "Thats nice. Shawn came back from the bathroom. Gotta go, love you! Bye!" I quickly hang up the phone and slide it in my back pocket.

As the screams kick up, I can't help but wonder how crazy of a fight this can be. I sneak out of the locker room and creep down the hall. The doors to the arena are open and I see a swarm of people drinking and cheering on the fight. I blend into the back of the crowd and see Shawn has been put in the corner of the ring.

"Come on Shawn!" A guy next to me shouts. I look back at Shawn and see him blocking and dodging the crushing blows of his opponent.

Just as Shawn ducks, his opponent manages to hit Shawn with a hard blow. Shawn staggers back into the corner and I begin to worry.

"Shawn!" I shout.

Fear runs through me as the guy hits him in the ribs. The crowd goes wild.

"Why isn't he fighting back?" A girl asks no one in particular.

"Shawn!" I shout again.

"Let's go Corey!" A group of guys cheer. I assume Corey is the opponent. My eyes search the room and I see Jack looking calm. How the hell can he be calm?

The bell dings and the round is over. Shawn goes into the corner and Jack and another guy talk to him. Shawn nods as someone runs Vaseline into his body. I see a bruise forming onto his skin where he was punched in the ribs. Jack tells something to Shawn in his ear and Shawn nods once more, a smirk rising. The bell dings again and the round begins.

I see that Corey looks tired. He throws a punch that Shawn dodges. The power of the dodged punch causes Corey to stagger forward. Out of nowhere, Shawn hits him square in the face. The crowd goes silent. Blood spurs from Corey's mouth as he falls down. The ref gets into the ring, counting to ten. Corey doesn't get up. The crowd cheers and some boo as Shawn is crowned "Winner by Knockout!"