forty-seven

[shawn's view.]

There she slept in my clothes. Her mouth slightly agape, her thumb resting in her top lip and a fallen eyelash on her cheekbone.

I pulled back the cover slightly and got out of the bed, covering her body back up. The drizzle from earlier turned into a hard thunderstorm.

I couldn't take it. Being in the room with her after what I did crushed me. I grab my shirt and put it on and grab a flannel, leaving it open as I walk to the living room. I slip on my shoes and grab my wallet, keys, and phone before running out in the rain to my car.

"Fuck." I say to myself. I start to hit the steering wheel and the dashboard. "Fuck! Fuck! FUCK!"

My phone rings and I glance at the screen. Jack's contact pops up. I sigh, picking up the phone and answering his call. "What?"

"Meet me." Jack says.
"What?" I reply, my tone a little softer.
"Meet me," he repeats. "The old spot."
"I'll be there in ten," I say and then hang up.

I start the car and drive to our old hang out spot. Our old spot was fifteen minutes away. It was called "Bernie's Grill & Bar" back then. But now, since there's a new owner, it's called "Hugo's Pub and Diner". But it'll always be the Bernie's to the guys and I. The same Bernie's where I'd go to eat with the team after a win and a loss.

When I arrive, I see Jack sitting in our usual booth. He's looking at a menu and I sit in the red leather seats across from him.

"Want anything?" Jack asks me.

"Yeah," I nod. Jack hands me the menu and I look at it. Shortly, a waitress comes and takes our orders and the menu.

"Talk about it." Jack says. He doesn't even ask if I want to, because he already knows that I want to. I sigh, putting my arms on the table and placing my face in my hands.

"Shawn," Jack sighs. "Look, it's going to be okay."

I sit back in my seat, my hands wrapped around my glass of water.

"It happened so fast." I say.
"Look, I know. I was in shock when it happened." He says.

"I didn't mean it. I really didn't. Jesus fuck. She looks bad." I shake my head.
"Okay how bad?" Jack asks me.
"She's got a bruise on her cheekbone. Her lip is busted. She's got another bruise on her leg."

Jack sighs and rubs his eyes. "Shit, Shawn."

"Look, I didn't mean to hit her. I just meant to push her away." I say.

Jack nods. "Yeah, I know. It's just...look, you got that fight coming up. And it's the big fight."

"I know."

"No, Shawn." Jack shakes his head. "This fight is the fight. The winner is getting checked out by trainers of the best boxers. This is the fight that makes or breaks you."

Jack's right. This fights gonna make or break me. And I really can't mess up.

"Okay," I nod.

"Okay what?"

"I need you to do me a favor."

"What is it?" He asks me.

"I'm gonna need you to take Jasmine home." I say and Jack looks at me if I were crazy. "I need to go somewhere and think."

Jack sighs. "What're you doing?"

"Jack, look! Everyone is making a big fucking deal out of this. It was an accident. Why was she even...? Never mind. It was an accident, not something with a motive. Got it? Good." I say. "Just pick her up, take her home."