thirty

"They what?" Paige asks me as we do the dishes.

"They wanna meet me." I tell her, handing her a dish to dry.

"Where do they live?"

I turn to Paige, shyly smiling.

"Jasmine," she pursues, "where do they live?"

"Canada." I mumble.

"Where?"

"Canada." I say in a normal voice.

Paige nearly drops the dish. I shut off the water and dry my hands on my pants.

"They live in Canada?!" She places the dish on the rack in the sink. "Tell me, what the fuck is in Canada?"

"His family, Paige." I sit down on the kitchen island counter top and grab a green apple from the fruit bowl. "Hand me the knife, please?"

Paige hands me a butter knife and I start to cut along the apple. "When are you gonna meet them?"

"This weekend." I reply, sliding a piece of apple from the knife and into my mouth.

"So are you spending the weekend there?"

"Yeah. I'm leaving on Thursday morning, and staying there until Monday. Possibly Tuesday."

"Have you requested the week off?" She asks me.

"Yeah. Christopher gave me the okay."

Paige leans over the counter and begins to laugh. "What's so funny?"

"I just thought of things Jack and I can do while you're gone." She smirks, playfully wiggling her eyebrows. I scrunch my face in disgust and she continues to laugh.

"You disgust me." I tease.

"How'd it go with Shawn and your parents?" She asks.

"Uhh...well, it went great." I stutter, cutting up another piece of the apple.

"What happened? Your dad didn't like him?"

"No, they liked him."

"Then what happened?"

I pause to think. Okay, I told myself and Shawn that I wouldn't go spilling to Paige about every single thing that Shawn and I did sexually, but, there's no harm in girl talk. Right?

"Paige," I look up at her, "this is girl talk, girl code, girl secrets. Not a single peep about this. Understood?"

"I won't say a peep." Paige says, mimicking a zipper on her lips and pretending to throw away the key.

"Alright." I clear my throat as I begin to confess. "My parents suggested I paint Shawn. So, I took him to the attic and after I painted him, we, you know."

Paige gasps and I blush. "Did they not hear you guys or what?"

"We managed to hold it in." I shrug.

"What position?"

"I was on top."

"Did it not hurt? I thought you were still sore."

"Yeah, but I was only sore for a few days." I breathe out. "Okay, I'm confessing this to you! Don't say a peep! But honestly, sex with Shawn is somewhat painful."

"How many times have you guys had sex?" She asks me.

"About, seven times or so." I reply. "But Paige, he is truly big." Paige covers her ears and I begin to laugh. "No! You're gonna listen to me talk about having sex with my boyfriend!" I shout at Paige.