fifty-eight

[shawn]

My fight was the day of the wedding. I knew how important this day was for Jasmine, but that day is important for me, too. That fight is the fight. The fight that determines if I make it to the professionals. The fight that I had been working for since I first took up boxing.

"Hey, how come you're so quiet?" Jasmine asks me. We sat in the car, driving to her parents' house.

"I'm just nervous. That's all." I shrug.

"How long have you and I been dating?" She asks me.
"About three, almost four months. Why?" I ask.
"Because I can tell when you're lying. And right now, if I may say so, you suck at it."

She lets out a small laugh before she lowers the radio. I can feel her gaze on me as I continue to drive down the freeway. I glance at her and then back at the road. "I promise, I won't get mad."

"You promise?" I ask her.

"I promise," Jasmine replies.

"Alright." I say, clearing my throat. "You can't get mad."

"Shawn!" Jasmine groans.

"Alright, alright," I chuckle. "You know how I have that big fight coming up soon?"

"Yeah?"

"It, uh, it falls on this week," I tell her.

"You mean this week?" She asks me.

"Ah huh." I nod.

"What day?"

"The wedding." I mumble.

"What?" She asks me. I know she heard me, but she wants to make sure she heard right.

"The wedding," I reply.

Jasmine sits back in her seat. She's quiet. She's not mad. Just...quiet. I switch lanes and place my hand on hers. She places her right hand on top of my hand, rubbing her thumb against the back of my hand. "You'll figure something out," Jasmine tells me, as if reading my mind.

"So, you're not mad?" I ask her.
"Shawn," Jasmine replies, "I promised that I wouldn't."
"But even if I didn't have you promise anything, would you still be mad?"

Jasmine exhales and I watch her gnaw on her lip.

"No," she says. "I wouldn't be mad. You're pursuing your dream."

"This is why I love you," I reply. She smiles at me before resting her head against the window.

"Crap," she mutters to herself.

"What?" I ask her as I switch lanes.

"I just remembered I have to help plan the bachelorette party." She rubs her hand over her forehead.

"Well, what does she want? Like, lots of dicks and a male dancer?" I ask her, causing Jasmine to laugh.

"Oh, God, I hope not!" Jasmine laughs behind her hand. "I have to plan that. Do you know how awkward that would be? People in the Hamptons know us."