ninety

AN: this is the last chapter of "afraid." I've strung together a few songs for this, please get your playlists ready!

"so close to magic" - Aquilo
"love love love" - Of Monsters and Men
"daydreamer" - Adele
"love is a losing game" - Amy Winehouse
"our love's funeral" - racoon racoon
"holding us back" - Katie Herzig
"organs" - Of Monsters and Men
"poison & wine" - the Civil Wars
"sunburn" - Ed Sheeran
"over the love" - Florence and the Machine
"the scientist" - Coldplay

< >

Shawn quickly beats me to the punch and places his big hand over the leather black checkbook. He raises his brow and gives a small smirk as he slides the checkbook closer to him and then opens it. "You gotta be quicker than that, kid."

"One year age difference." I say.
"But that height difference makes you a kid compared to me." He replies.

"I'm paying the tip."
"That's fine."

Shawn reaches into his wallet and takes out his credit card and places it in the folder of the book, then closes it. He reopens it and grabs the pen from inside the book, looks at me, and writes down the tip on the receipt, then closes it back up.

"You wrote the tip, didn't you?" I ask. Shawn nods and winks. "You are something else."

"Oh, but you love me." He replies. "And I was right."
"Right about what?"

"I came here the other day to meet my new manager and I thought to myself, I could bring Jasmine here and she would still order something simple like chicken tenders." Shawn tells me as he rests his head against his fist.

"Okay, but why do they have it on the menu? And may I add that those are gentrified chicken strips? They didn't even come with barbaric or fries. Those were grilled strips with a side of lettuce and some fancy sauce!"

Shawn shakes his head as he smiles. The waiter of the night comes by and takes it, then returns with Shawn's card and wishes us a goodnight. We get up to leave as Shawn takes my hand in his as we leave.

I let out a little yawn as I check the time - 10:14 p.m. We let go of each other's hand as we clamber into the car.

Tomorrow was our last day being together physically. He would leave and so would I. We both didn't talk about it, nor talk about wanting to talk about it. There was a feeling of uncertainty that washed through me for the past week. It kept me up at night and in the morning; it popped in my head in the shower and at work; at a party and even with Shawn. Would we really make this work? Would it really work?

"Alright, I'm gonna play this game with you." Shawn says as he undid another button on his shirt. "You tell me where to go - straight, left, or right. Tell me as soon as you can so I know which lane to go into."

"I know where I want to go." I say. "Go to your place."

"My place? Why, what's there?" He replies as he gets into the right lane.

"I have something there."
"Like what?"

"It's kind of a surprise. Something I'm wanting to give to you but I'm really nervous because I have never showed these to anyone before."

"Alright now you're making me nervous." Shawn says with a light chuckle.

"You have seen these before, but those are only the ones I put on display. But these things I'm about to show you, I have never showed to anyone before."