seventy-one

My eyes scan the boat that held both sides of the family. Selma and Matthew wanted to allow their families to meet one another before the wedding that way both sides would be friendly with one another. Shawn holds my hand and helps me up the platform that led us up to the boat floor. Once on board, a waiter comes up to us holding a silver tray with glasses of champagne and wine.

"Could I interest you in a drink?" He asks us.

"Thank you," Shawn says as he takes a skinny glass of champagne for himself and hands me a glass of wine. The waiter gives a small nods before offering a drink to the next people who come on board.

The boat was already scattered with different family members and I remembered who I had to keep Shawn away from. He places a hand at my lower back and we walk on over to Chloe and Chandler as they laugh at something Chloe said.

"She really went all out, huh?" I ask Chandler as we stand besides them.

"No kidding." Chandler replies. "But I got a feeling it's her mom. You know Tia Cecilia and mom have that little competition going on."

"Wait they still have that going?" I ask as I take a sip of my drink.

"Was it not obvious the moment Selma announced the wedding was switched to here? Come on, you know they still got that going on."

"Why would they need to have a sibling rivalry?" Chloe asks us.

"They grew up in Cuba with my Great-Abuela Brenda after their mother died. So growing up they were quite poor. But my mother was taken to Florida first and then she moved to Massachusetts, met my father and got married. So for the wedding, when Tia Cecilia came to serve as a bridesmaid she realized my mother had it all. Put an envious sister in a room with the groom's brothers, you got yourself a family rivalry." I explained.

"So it's really just out of jealousy?" Shawn asked me.

"Yeah," I nod. "Tia Cecilia got pretty upset upon realizing that Selma wasn't the athletic type and I was."

"But I thought you were Colombian?" Chloe asked Chandler and me.

"We are," he answers. "But they were raised in Cuba after their parents passed." Chloe's mouth goes into a O shape and she nods.

"Does your mom care about the rivalry?" Shawn asks me.

I shrug. "I don't think it's ever phased her. She just thinks it's silly."

The boat moves with an uneasy jolt. My hand goes onto the rail and Shawn grabs my arm to make sure I don't fall. There's fairy lights strung above our heads and soft music fills the air. Waiter's walk around with little dishes on their trays and offer them to the guests. I spot the bridesmaids and excuse myself before walking on over to them.

"Okay, so I got an idea for the party." I say to them as I keep my voice low.

"Ooh, what is it?" Angela eagerly asks me.

"I was watching an old episode of Sex and the City and they met drag queens. So I got the idea that we take a limo, or a party bus, out to the city. We go out for a night on the town, maybe hit up a few clubs and hang with drag queens." I say.

"Wait, I actually know a service that does that!" Katy says.

"They actually have one of those?" Caitlyn asks her.

"Yeah, I think I heard of those. They're quite the new buzz." Elizabeth confirms.

"What's it called?" I ask Katy.

"It's called Drag Town. It's a service that takes you out on a party bus with drag queens and they take you out for a night on the town." Katy explains to me. "My brother and his friends found out about that by accident, but they really enjoyed it. If you want, I can get you their number."