ch. twenty-three

"i'm just gonna sit here. you guys can go." wooyoung sat on a chair outside the haunted house that had been voted on by the crowd before they went to the ferris wheel.

yeosang groaned. "aww come on! don't be a baby! let's all go in!"

wooyoung shakes his head in protest. "nope, nu-uh! i hate haunted house out of all the games here! i'm not risking my ruined image."

the worker at the entrance who was on duty to make sure everyone got in beamed at wooyoung in reassurance. "don't worry."

"you can go in two by two if you want. don't worry, i think someone will protect you in there." she smiled, nudging her hand in polite gesture behind wooyoung.

wooyoung frowned in confusion before he propped his chin up to look at the back of his head. he quickly looked ahead when his face turned a shade of pink.

"really?" wooyoung mumbled slowly.

yunho and yeosang looked at each other before both pleadingly looking at san waiting for san to do something.

san gets on his knees next to wooyoung who is fidgeting in his place. "of course i am. do you want to go in? i won't force you if you don't want to. but if you want to go in, i can protect you."

"you promise?" wooyoung asked in a small voice.

"i promise." san nodded with a reassure smile.

wooyoung held out his pinky finger out of his fist to san, waiting for san to seal the promise. he smiled at wooyoung's cute move and intertwined their pinkies, tapping their thumbs together to seal the promise.

wooyoung bit his lower lip while thinking. he looked at his friends who were patiently waiting for him before looking at san. he pursed his lips and slowly nodded his head.

yunho and yeosang cheered in excitement and urge wooyoung to wake up. wooyoung got up from the chair he was sitting on then glanced at san.

the older smiled and held out his arm for the younger. wooyoung hugged san's arm and shrunk beside him.

"i gonna make a fool of myself." wooyoung grumbled to himself in distress.

"you're not. if so, i will not laugh at you. everyone has something they are afraid of." san softly said to wooyoung.

wooyoung who was surprised when san heard the words that meant for himself, looked at san with his big doe eyes.

while waiting, san uses his right hand to pull the headband from wooyoung's head then he ruffles and fixes wooyoung's hair softly before he puts the headband back on.

wooyoung unconsciously closed his eyes as he let san do whatever with his hair. to be honest, he felt very comfortable and calm under the gentle gesture.

after receiving the signal for them to enter, wooyoung hugged san's arm again out of fear. he didn't realize that he let out a small whimper in fear but san heard it clearly because san changed their positions.

san used his right hand to hold both of wooyoung's hands and his left hand to hug wooyoung's shoulders close to his chest. "i'll protect you."

wooyoung was too scared to think about anything else and just nodded his head, trusting san with his life.

they entered slowly following wooyoung's steps. a smaller squeeze on san's hand and got a reassuring squeeze back in return.

the smaller flinched when he heard shriek and brisk footsteps running towards them from behind and froze.

san calmly pulled wooyoung out of their way to his chest. the smaller buried himself in san's chest, trying to soothe himself with the scent of san's musky sandalwood cologne.