Nineteen

Cheryll's POV;

~ Miles Manor ~

"Hope he doesn't suspect anything." I mumbled to myself as I pushed open the front door.

It was 6 am now, I'd just returned from the hospital. Throughout my visit there, I was worried about what Trevor might've thought of my hasty departure at the middle of the night. I didn't want him to suspect anything as it wasn't just a regular hospital visit during an emergency as I'd told him, it's about that which I and Vincent are keeping from Trevor.

"You're here," His deep and husky voice greeted me.

Just as I was planning to avoid him. I sighed.

But then reminded myself that whenever I avoid him, I end up hurting myself, both physically and emotionally as I'd figured my feelings for him. I like him, but was doing everything in my power to not fall in love with him so I can make our friendship work in the future.

"Mm. You're up early on a weekend." I replied, hoping to change the topic. Then a possibility hit me. "Or...did you not sleep after I left?"

Please don't tell me___

"Yes," He replied as if finishing my thought, 'cause that's what I was thinking too. "It was 2 am when you ran off, Cheryll and you said you'd return in an hour, but it's 6 in the morning now. I was...worried." He added the last part in a hushed tone.

He cares. I quickly brushed the thought away.

"I'm sorry, I could've called you to let you know of the delay, but was caught up." I apologised.

"That's okay." He sighed. "Why'd you call a cab when you've your own car?"

There's the question I've been dreading.

"I didn't want to wake you up by starting the car, so called one. But you woke up anyway." I admitted.

It was partially true. I planned to sneak out and be back before he wakes, so had called a cab to avoid waking him up because of the sound the engine would make when I start a car. But luck wasn't on my side and he woke up before I could even step out of the room and now I'm conjuring up lie after lie. Partial lies, but still a lie.

He just nodded and we went to freshen up for the day. After breakfast, I was doing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen counter when we'd a visitor. Trevor was in the living room, so I didn't bother walking over to open the door. As expected, Trevor let the person in and from the pleasantries exchanged, I knew it was Mr. Reed.

I finished cleaning and brought some snacks into the plates to carry them to the guest. I was just at the doorway of the kitchen when I heard Mr. Reed say something, that prompted me to halt in my steps. I'd a clear view of them, but they were oblivious of my presence.

"I've news and it's best if we don't discuss it with Mrs. Miles." Was what he said.

"She's upstairs, so wouldn't hear us." Trevor replied, Mr. Reed nodded.

Good that he thinks I'm upstairs!

"She was right to think that someone messed with your car." Trevor's figure stiffened. "They first took care of the camera facing the parking space your car was in so nothing gets recorded, then did what they wanted to with the vehicle."

I was shaking by now. Why'd they want to kill him? I know that with his position and status he'd have people who wouldn't miss an opportunity to bring him down, but was killing him necessary? If someone's after his power and wealth then wouldn't it be enough to just get that without ending him for good?