Chapter 11: Dances with forgetness

My hair was straightened with the help of Charlie and now all I had to do was apply my makeup and I would be ready for the night of my life.

I took my time applying red smoky eye shadow; I wanted to fix nothing. When my contacts where re-applied, eye shadow was to perfection, and eyelashes extended I made quick work coating my lips in a seducing red glossy matte finish.

One knock hits my door as I place all the make-up back into its rightful place.

"Come in," I call grabbing a brush to run it through my hair so it is flat.

Bella opens the door all the way her foot still in a brace. Her dress is plain and she had found it while I was in the hospital, but she pulled the look off. She really was everything I was not.

"Converse Bella?" I asked raising my perfectly arched eyebrow. She smiled with a shrug.

"Are you ready?" She asks with her eyes scrutinizing my room.

"You look really beautiful Kayla," She pauses with her eyebrows furrowed together. " I really am sorry." she takes one last step towards me and throws her arms around my shoulders. My arms wrap around her waist and I bask in the feeling.

When she is not being selfish she reminds me of the mother figure that should have been in my life. Besides Sue and Sarah.

---------------

In the school gym, I walk in alone and while party music blast through the entire area I dance with Mike, Jessica, Angela, and Eric until the music begins to slow. My eyes gaze the area and I cannot help the small smile that my lips carve into with my punch in hand.

I shudder when a familiar cold finger taps my bare shoulder I turn to see Jasper wearing a black suit with a tie corresponding to my dress.

"May I have this dance ma'am?" he asks in his southern accent that makes me melt. My heart skips a beat and I nod gratefully at the handsome gentleman before me.

On the dance floor, I place my hand on his shoulder with my free hand in his other hand. He put his hand on my waist and I gasp breathless as we began to sway having a little twirl here and there.

I feel a connection every time I see him. When his eyes meet mine, I can't help but to fall for him. He's some sort of fine mystery that I just want to touch. I had always thought he was Alice's man, but him being here proves that is not so.

I can remember our eyes meeting in the halls, in breakfast, lunch, and even out in the parking lot. Never had we directly spoken, but we had some connection to one another and I wanted to explore it even though I know what he is.

"Jasper," I whisper into his ear tightening my grip on him. He was the only thing this night holding me together

"Why does it feel...better around you?" I ask as he grips my waist tighter. I don't understand any of this. He feels my pain all of it and its still in me. I just hid it away for a while.

My hands start to shake every time I feel it coming back to me and when it does it is full force. Something is bound to happen and everything will go back to shit.

"C-calm down Kayla, I've got you darling," he reassures softly into my ear comfortingly. It was when I felt the memories pushing through the barricade I had put up came back.

"Oh jeez jasper," I say clutching him tighter. I'm panicking at the memory of James throwing me. How close his fangs were to my skin and how prepared I was to die that day and not come back. A growl erupts from Jaspers lips and I look up at his face startled to see his eyes pitch black.

"Major." I touch his cheek when his grip become more aggressive and he pulls me flesh against him. Major was possessive and more assertive than Jasper and it was quite ironic. Ironic how two personalities could exist in a vampire.

"I am going to make this work Darlin," His lips are a breath away from my own.

"I am with all my power going to figure out how to make your pain go away." His lips graze mine gently and blood rushes to my head.

"Make it go away," I breath and his lips crush upon my own in a soft forced kiss. I don't want his lips to leave my own, my first kiss with him could not have been better. When we pull away I exclaim breathlessly, "WOW."

"That was perfect. The best way to make a girl forget." His lips where red from my lipstick and I giggled bringing my thumb up to wipe at it.

It was supposed to be an innocent caress until he nipped at my thumb. My eyes widened and my breathe hitched when he drew blood. It was not painful at all, just a little taste. His black eyes where suddenly dotted with red. This was an intense moment that shocked me to the core.

"To think I have no control," He whispers grabbing my hand and pulling it back to watch the small amount of red ooze at the tip  of my thumb.

I smirked, "You do. We all know you do," I quickly glanced around to spot Edward within hearing range and find him not here before continuing, "it is them who does not," His lips turned up also.

That is what jasper did. He made me forget the pain for one night. The best night I had had since Bella made it clear she wanted to come to Forks.