Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 44

Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Chapter 44

“Lachlan!” called a man in simple attire from outside one of the cars. “I see you have arrived here safely.”

He was surrounded by body guards who held large guns in their hands.

Lachlan smiled and wrapped his arm around Marian’s waist protectively.

“Of course. The ride was pretty good and I had someone very special to keep me company,” said Lachlan, gesturing at Marian.

The man’s eyes filtered over Marian briefly, but quickly returned to look at Lachlan.

Something from the way the man looked at Marian made her feel not only uncomfortable but also unwelcome. She looked at her surroundings and realised there were no women, just cold, hard, dangerous men who could snuff the life out of anyone they chose.

Marian knew it was these men, along with Lachlan, that held the power to destroy armies.

“I suppose before I pounce on you about the incoming shipment I should allow you and your lady-friend a rest from your journey,” said the man, gesturing at the cars behind him. “Your plane is safe here, as it is in Taliban territory, and you are a friend of ours.”

“Business partners,” said Lachlan. “When I have the last payments and you have all the weapons then perhaps the word friends could be used.”

The man chuckled.

“Ah Lachlan, you are a man just like your father. Please come rest in my private villa. It is a lovely place to relax at.”

Lachlan took Marian by the hand and led her over to one of the black cars. A man opened the door for the pair and shut it behind them once both were safely inside.

Lachlan scooted closer to Marian, as he was used to her automatic reaction of pulling away. However, recently she had not been moving away at all, and this time was no exception. Her mind was on other things; consumed by thoughts of Archer’s safety and his friends.

What would happen if they land in a Taliban guarded area?

“How long until the shipment arrives?” questioned Marian, trying to break the awkward silence.

“Probably tomorrow morning my sweet,” purred Lachlan, nuzzling his head into the crook of her neck. “Then we can stay to see the weapons in action and after that we’ll go back home.”

“Sounds like a plan,” replied Marian, her mind racing as she tried to come up with a plan of her own.

                                                                    ***

Back over in Australia, Lucy had just gotten into the nightclub. She hoped she would be able to speak with someone who knew something about Lachlan or his organisation.

As she walked further into the club, her eyes scanned the room crammed with people. She was looking for the symbol anyone who belonged to Lachlan’s organisation would have tattooed onto them.

She fixed her eyes on a man who look about ten years older than her, sitting all by himself. The tattoo was on his upper arm and remained partly covered by his shirt’s sleeve.

For a moment Lucy thought about running out of the club and never setting a foot near it again, but she quickly regained her composure. She knew she had to do this – it was part of what needed to be done in order to make the authorities aware of what was going on.