Opposites Attract

*One year later*

Edward Nygma: Science geek, social outsider, lover of riddles, and knower of pretty much everything.

Alyssa Connors: Trouble maker, detention club platinum member, in a love-hate relationship with Gotham Junior High principal, and cheered when she got a C.

As such different people, it was no surprise that they had never met. Then again, their relationship began as it continued: unconventionally.

"Ahh!"

Edward jumped back when a girl that appeared to be his age fell through the ceiling vent an onto the notes he had spread across the table in the science room. She didn't seem to be hurt, as she quickly sat up and gave him wide smile upon seeing him.

"Hi!"

"W-what are you doing falling from the ceiling?" Edward stuttered once he found his voice.

"What are you doing rooted to the floor?" the girl countered as though he was the odd one.

"Gravity." he countered automatically.

"Well there's your answer then." she swung he around and jumped off the table, knocking several of his papers onto the floor in the process.

"Connors!" a clearly adult voice shouted from the hall, making the girl wince.

"Annnd, that's my que. Gotta go bye!"

And she was out the door, gone as quickly as she'd came.

The poor twelve-year-old genius was left standing there in shock.

"What just happened?"

******

As a scientist, Edward Nygma naturally had a strong sense of curiosity. He wanted to find out who the girl was; and she was by no means hard to find.

"I got pudding cups, chocolate, vanilla, and butterscotch! What'll ya offer?"

"Cheese puffs!" one student called out.

"Chocolate chip muffin!" another shouted.

"I got muffins, going once, going twice....Sold!"

Edward didn't spend much time in the school cafeteria for fear of having to sit alone – or worse, bullies finding him – but even he knew lunchroom auctions like this were a regular occurrence.

And standing on one of the tables, the items up for bid sitting at her feet, was the girl who had dropped in on his studying – if you'll pardon the pun.

She was beautiful. Her dark brown hair fell just passed her shoulders, her eyes twinkled, and she regarded the room before her with an 'I don't care' kind of confidence that he envied.

Still, her smile fell into the same wince it had when someone shouted her name.

"Connors! Get down from there!"

"Oh Hamish, why ya gotta spoil the fun?" she huffed, jumping down from the table none the less.

"How many times have I told you not to have these...auctions of yours?"

"Uh..." she looked down to count on her fingers. "78."

"I had it at 77."

"This makes 78!"

The principal sighed, clearly at a loss. Edward could tell that this girl had a reputation for trouble, and with the school year half over, she had surely faced plenty of punishment that didn't seem to be making a difference.

Then comes the turning point that would change both their lives.

"Mr. Nygma!"

Edward jumped and ran forward. "Yes sir?"

"It seems Ms. Connors is struggling in her classes. Perhaps you could start tutoring her? Everyday after school."

"What?" the girl – 'Ms. Connors' – exclaimed. "But I've got detention!"

"Not anymore." the principal said smugly. "Now you'll be meeting Mr. Nygma in the science lab until your grades are up."

"She will?" Edward asked.

"I will?" Connors echoed.

"You will."