Selina Kyle

Normally, Alyssa let the kids in her charge have free range. As long as they showed up for their shifts, they got hot food and a warm bed.

She did keep an eye on some of the younger ones, had classes to teach them basic survival skills and there was even a school for those who wanted to go. Apparently, Gotham public school didn't take in kids with no legal guardians.

Which Alyssa wasn't – you couldn't be the legal guardian of over 200 kids. Still, with a favor here and a well placed bribe there, she got the permits to call it charity, which meant the law couldn't touch her.

Usually the only one bothered by this was Mayor James; he thought street kids were good-for-nothing riffraff that should be sent on a one-way trip upstate.

But now Alyssa had Jim Gordon on her case. While the 'boyscout' as she had dubbed him respected what she was doing, he didn't like the shady way she was doing it.

And there was also the matter of Selina being a witness to the Wayne murders. It was no question among the children that Selina was Alyssa's favorite. She had been the first one Alyssa had taken in at the age on nine. Instead of a hotel room, she had her own room in Alyssa's apartment.

What she was truly proud of however, was her charm on Alyssa's bracelet.

The charm bracelet was one of the first stories Alyssa had ever told her, and Selina adored it. She liked the idea of being so important to someone that they wanted a reminder of her with them always.

Selina had met every person behind the charms except Edward – at least not properly. The delivery could hardly be called a meeting, she had sat down and talked with everyone else.

And Alyssa seemed to have special feelings for this Edward. Which is why Selina had made it her mission to track him down.

"Boo."

Harvey jumped. "Kid, don't ever do that again."

Selina chuckled. "You've been saying that since I was ten." she stepped around his desk. "Mom said detective Gordon wanted to see me?"

"He's down in forensics, third door on the right." Harvey waved her off.

"Thanks uncle Harvey."

"Quit calling me that!"

******

Since Alyssa or Harvey usually got her out of trouble when every she was brought into the precinct, Selina had never been into the building's basement.

It was dark, and way too quiet for comfort. She was used to the busy streets or the buzz of the flee. This place was just creepy.

"Who are you?"

Selina jumped and whirled around, punch ready, but relaxed when she saw a man in lab coat and glasses.

"Now I know why people hate it when I do that."

"You're not supposed to be down here."

"Don't tell me where I'm not supposed to be. I'm looking for detective James Gordon. Harvey said he was down here."

"The more you take, the more you leave behind."

"Footsteps." Selina said automatically. Riddles were Alyssa's favorite way of keeping the children's minds sharp.

Looking surprised, the man nodded. "Correct. And you've taken too many of them. Detective Gordon is down in the medical examiner's office, its back that way." he pointed back the way she'd came.

"Thanks." she nodded.

"You never answered my question." he said, stopping her when she turned to walk away. "Who are you?"

"Selina Kyle." she said with a slightly annoyed expression. "People call me Cat." she turned back around.

"Edward Nygma."

Selina turned so quickly it made her dizzy. "What did you just say?"

"My name. Edward Nygma." he said, confused as to why that had gotten such a reaction out of her.

"You're Edward Nygma?"

"Yes." he nodded.

Selina laughed. "I didn't think you'd still be in Gotham. Finding you was easier than I thought."

"I'm sorry, do we know each other?"

"No. But you know my mom."

"Your mom?"

"Alyssa Connors."