Smallville

A/N: This is a flashback chapter, touching a bit on what Alyssa got up to once she ran away from the Nygma residence.

*6 years ago*

"911, what is your emergency?"

"There's a girl washed up on the banks of the river, I don't think she's breathing!"

"Calm down sir, listen carefully and I'll instruct you how to preform CPR."

******

"Where am I?" Alyssa asked, trying to sit up, only to cry out in pain.

"Hey, hey, easy." a boy who appeared to be a few years older than her – but was completely bald – gently pushed her back down. "You're in a hospital in Metropolis. You're pretty badly beaten up."

"Yeah that'll happen...."

The boy frowned. "I found you unconscious on the banks of the river. You had four broken bones, a punctured lung, and you were half dead from blood loss. How does that just happen?"

"Let's just say I angered some very mean people." she smiled sarcastically. "Now do I get to know the name of my rescuer?"

"Lex. Lex Luthor."

"Alyssa Connors."

*******

Lex Luthor, though rude and slightly nobbish, was far better company compared to his father.

When Lionel had discovered where he son had been going for the last three weeks that Alyssa had been in a coma, he'd 'kindly' offered to help her. Thankfully, Alyssa had spent enough time with mobsters to understand that the offer wasn't out of the kindness of his heart.

With no other options however, she treaded forward carefully. With the Luthor's resources, she was able to discover the off-shore account that her father had put aside. The slimy bastard had been planning to ditch his family with his enemies and debts.

But Alyssa didn't tell them that. She said the account was her father's and that he was dead rather than imprisoned. There were times when she had to explain herself, but she kept it to as few details as possible.

She was out of the Luthor's penthouse the first chance she got. By then though, she had made a slight friendship with Lex, so she promised to keep in touch on the condition that his father stayed out of it.

For the first time in her life, Alyssa Connors was free. There was enough money in the account to take her anywhere – she certainly couldn't go back to Gotham after what Fish had done to her – but she could start a new life.

The first thing she did was find the town of her dreams. A quaint little farming town in Kansas called Smallville.

It was exactly as she imagined; warm, kind, everyone willing to help each other instead of only looking to help themselves.

Still....Alyssa fingered the silver charms on her charm bracelet, which thankfully had survived her ordeal. The city had been cruel to her, but it did have its diamonds in the rough.

"So it is true." Alyssa looked up to see a young blonde girl. "When they said there was a new face in Smallville, I had to see for myself. Chloe Sullivan. Nice to meet you."

"Alyssa Connors." she shook her hand, smiling in amusement. The girl was acting like a reporter getting the scoop as she slid into the chair across from her in the coffee shop.

"So what brings you to Smallville? We don't get many visitors."

"Well you should, you've got a lovely little town here." Alyssa chuckled. "I always pictured living in a place like this. Peaceful, simple, small town life."

"It gets old fast, trust me."

"Oh, you'd be surprised."

"Chloe!" a dark haired boy ran up to the table. "There you are!"

"Clark, Alyssa Connors, Alyssa, Clark Kent." Chloe introduced.

"Good to know ya Clark."

******

The house wasn't as big as she'd imagined, and there wasn't any ivy climbing up the walls, but that was okay.

She got plenty of visitors, as everyone worried over the young girl living on her own. Alyssa adored the small town, but she had to admit she was running out of things to do.

And everyday, she found herself staring more and more at her charm bracelet. She wondered if Edward had thrown himself back into the studies she always had to drag him out of. If Oswald was still having trouble with bullies. If Harvey even remembered the way to his favorite bakery, as Alyssa had gotten into the habit of always picking up danishes there for him. July was fast approaching, and for the first time she wouldn't be there to meet Jerome.

When she thought of things like that, all alone in her big empty house, she felt horrible. She had broken all her promises, left all her friends to wonder what had happened to her. It wasn't like she had a choice; if she went back to Gotham Fish would get word in no time at all that she was alive.

And that would be very bad. Alyssa had worked hard to keep the people she loved safe; she was lucky Fish had gone after her instead of them.

But could she really be blamed? Alyssa would admit that she wasn't a good person – she had killed plenty of other people since the man in the alley – but shooting a child?

Even she had her limits.