78- McGonagall's Hint

Just as predicted Hogwarts seemed to have a much darker air about it. That might've been to do with the hundreds of dementors surrounding the school, or it could have been because of the man sitting in Dumbeldore's old seat.

Venus couldn't believe that Snape had the nerve to sit in Dumbeldore's seat, especially flanked by the Carrow siblings. Both Death Eaters, the two siblings were taking up the roles of DADA teacher and Muggle Studies teachers that year.

McGonagall sat in her usual chair to the side of the headmaster's chair and didn't look impressed one bit. Her mouth was pressed into the thinnest of thin lines and the glare that she was giving Snape looked as though it could easily set him alight at any moment.

There were no cheers after students had been sorted. The terrified first years hurried to their tables in silence and the sorting hat's shouts echoed in the silent hall. Similarly the feast was eaten in near silence. Students talked in hushed whispers and we quickly silenced by the glares of the Carrows and Snape.

Just as predicted, the student body was significantly decreased. Venus didn't see a single person who she knew to be a muggle born, and even some other students hadn't turned up at school. Venus spotted Crabbe and Goyle looking very lost without Malfoy sat between them giving them orders, as Malfoy was up the other end of the table, looking rather pale.

Eventually they were dismissed to bed. The Gryffindors hurried up the stairs, hardly talking and keeping their heads down.

"We've got to do something." Ginny declared when they made it to the common room, "we can't let the whole year go by like this! People are terrified!"

"I know." Venus glanced around at the fearful faces. "We've got to stick together."

"Let's reinstate Dumbledore's Army!" Neville said in a hushed tone as some third years hurried past the group of three gathered by the fire, "let's show them that Hogwarts is going to fight back."

"We've got to be careful," said Venus anxiously, "we all know what the death eaters are like- they'll go after our families!"

********

"I am obliged to inform you that for all students who achieved an A grade or above in the Defence Against the Darks Arts OWL it is compulsory for them to take it for NEWT." Professor McGonagall told Venus and Ginny as she made her way down the table to hand out timetables the next morning.

"We figured as much." Venus said grimly, "I'm taking Transfiguration, Potions, Charms, Defence Against the Dark Arts and Herbology."

"...and Muggle Studies." McGonagall added, seeming to disapprove of this particularly.

"Yes and Muggle Studies."

McGonagall asked Ginny for her subjects and Ginny gave them, the two girls had decided to take all of the same subjects.

McGonagall lent down between them under the pretext of handing them timetables, and murmured under her breath so that only the two Weasleys and Neville (who sat across from them) could hear, "this year would be the time for any old clubs to make a come back." She passed Ginny and Venus their timetables and straightened up, continuing down the table.

"Did she just drop us a hint?" Ginny asked, sounding slightly scared.

"McGonagall is a badass, I thought we established this." Venus shrugged as she read her timetable.

Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx