Weston

Song: Looking for Answers by Linkin Park, sung by Julia Kuberska

When I wake up he is gone. I actually had the best sleep in my entire life. Funny how having someone that close to you, watching over you makes you sleep like that. A part of me felt safe for once.

Today is Sunday and they are still sleeping in their room. I tip-toe to the bathroom. When I get back to my room I get dressed and leave from the bedroom window. I want to find out more about Weston. I walk into town and find the local library. I ask to use a computer.

I look up anything I can about the Fleming family. I find several articles and print one out. I fold it up and slip it into my back pocket. I head home hoping that he would show up.

About eight at night he does and I attempt to smile when I see him. He is so freaking cute and from the pictures in the paper his twin brother Walker looks just like him, identical, except Walker has short spiky hair and Weston wears his a little longer and it swooshes in front of his face some. Both have the same crystal blue eyes and the cutest little dimples in their cheeks.

Now those eyes stare back at me. "How was your day?"

"Just another day, but better now that you are here." I try to smile again. "I went to the library today to find out what I could about you."

"About me, all you had to do was ask."

"Well...I hope you are not upset."

"Public information, if you found it."

"Weston do you know what happened that night?"

"My parents were fighting."

I lean back against the wall to listen to him.

"My mother was going to leave him. She talked about it before but this time she meant it. I don't know what happened. I'm in my room and hear a shot ring through the house and I know it's the sound of his gun. I just wanted it to stop. When my door opened I closed my eyes pretending to be asleep. A coward right; I should have stood up to him. Anyway everything went black...and now I'm here with you. No body...just my soul. I don't understand what is happening."

"Weston what if I told you that you're not dead?"

"Why would I be a ghost then...look at me Cecilia." He reaches out to me and his hand goes right through mine.

I reach into my back pocket and pull out the article that I printed. I show it to him.

February 15th, 2016

Last night on February the 14th while some were out on dates celebrating Valentine's Day, Jackson Fleming, 42, had other things on his mind taking his own life after shooting his wife, Martha Fleming, 40, and his twin sons Walker and Weston, 17. At this time Martha and Walker did not survive, however Weston is in critical condition. No one knows what happened in this suburban family home if anyone has any information please contact the local police. Funeral arrangements will be made at a later date.

He looks away from me and I can see the hurt in his eyes.

"Weston, you're still alive." I try to touch his hand but instead I touch the floor.

"What difference does it make?"

"At least you are alive."

"Yeah...and how do I make it back to my body? I don't even know where it is?"

"I don't know." I lean back against the wall again. We sit there in silence for a moment.

His voice breaks the silence. "My dad wanted the best for us. He would have done anything to make sure his boys had it all. He was there at every practice, every game pushing us. He even talked to colleges about us trying to get us on a good team once we graduated."

"Wow...so what happened?"

"I don't know... like I said they were arguing. She had enough. She was tired of all the talk about sports and he stopped paying attention to her. I guess he knew she was actually going to do it this time so he made sure no one left him. Except he left me behind."

Silence.

"It couldn't have been my dad...he cared too much about us. I just can't believe he would do that."

"I'm sorry Weston." I don't know what else to say.

He clears his throat, "Enough about me...how are you really?"

"I'll be alright."

We get quite again.

This time I break the silence. "You know at least you know that your parents loved you and really cared about you. I'm sure your dad really cared, maybe too much afraid she was going to take you away for good."

"Still...why would he hurt us like that?"

"I wish I had the answer but I don't. Why does anyone want to hurt anyone?"