Being there

Song: One call away by Charlie Puth

School has been going by a little smoother since Weston's outburst. No one talks about me, well not in front of me anyway. I'm sure they do when I'm not around. He hasn't been hanging around them as much either. I guess it's better to stay away from all the negativity they have.

Emily is in the hallway and comes over to me. "Hey girl...you're looking so much better."

"Thanks."

"How do you feel?"

"Still a little sore but better. I go Friday to get the stitches out."

"Cool...so I hope you don't get upset with me, but while you were out I put your name down for the talent show."

"Why would you do that?" I don't want to be upset but I am. I wasn't planning on doing it.

"Because you my friend have an amazing voice."

"Emily I really wish you would have asked me first."

"You're mad." She makes a puppy dog sad face. "Cecilia, please don't be mad at me. I asked my mom and she said you wouldn't mind."

Weston comes up behind me and pulls me into him, embracing me from behind. I guess he can tell I'm a little upset. "What's going on?"

"Emily put me down for the talent show."

"Weston...will you please tell her she is good."

"You're good babe...I for one I am captivated by your voice."

"Guys seriously. Weston you're taking her side."

"I'm not taking anyone's side. I just said I loved your voice."

I shake my head. Forget it, just forget it, I give in. "Fine. I'll do it but I don't know what to sing."

"So come over Saturday and we can look at song choices." She says with a big smile.

"I'll have to ask my grandparents."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah...oh and Weston can come too."

Weston smiles at that. "I would love to spend some time with you this weekend."

Emily takes off down the hallway. Weston just keeps smiling at me. Matter of fact he smiles all the way to my next class.

"You're cheerful today; what's made you so happy?" I ask.

"You!"

"Really Weston, tell me the truth."

"I'll show you after school alright."

"Whatever."

After school we are walking outside and he shows me why he has been in such a good mood. He points to a jet black Mustang. "My grandparents got it for me; what you think?"

"Uhm!!! I love it. Nice."

"So maybe we can like go out Friday, you know like on a real date."

"Sounds great. I'll have to ask first alright."

"Well there's your Pops, I'll ask him." He takes off towards my Pops car.

"Weston wait...." I yell after him but it's too late he is already asking permission to take me out.

He looks at me smiling ear to ear. "Looks like you are going on a date with me this Friday."

I just shake my head and then I remember I'm getting my stitches out on Friday too. "Oh yeah, I almost forgot I have to go to the doctor Friday to get the stitches out you want to go with me?"

"You don't mind me going?"

"Uhm! No, that's why I asked you."

***

On Friday after school, my grandparents take me to the doctor office to get out my stitches. Hopefully it has been healing alright; I have been trying to clean it myself because honestly I don't want anyone to see it. I feel that it would break my Grammy's heart if she was to see it. Weston on the other hand saw it before hand so I feel that I can manage him seeing it that's why I asked him to come along. My grandparents are so understanding and they let him go in the room with me while they sit in the waiting room.

He has been super quiet ever since we walked into the room. "You ok; you look like you are going to be sick?" I ask him.

"I'm fine...I just don't want to see any more blood."

"I'm sorry; I guess you have already seen enough. I bet I scared the shit out of you uh?"

He just nods his head. Then the door opens and Dr. Threadgood walks in. "Cecilia you look good today."

"Thanks, I feel a lot better and of course the Grandparents have been making sure that I eat." I smirk.

"That's good...so let's look at this." He starts to undo the bandage. "You have been taking good care of it I see."

"Yes sir, following doctor's orders."

"Well let's get these out."

He starts taking the stitches out one at a time; I don't even flinch, not one time. "So the scar should start to heal more in time however you will always be able to see it."

I shake my head; I already knew it would be there forever. This time it was so much deeper and I can still see my other scars lightly into my flesh. I look up at Weston and he is still looking away at something on the blank wall. I think he is trying not to cry but I don't say anything to him.

"While you are here let's look at those ribs."

"Okay." I start to lie back on the exam table.

"I'm just going to move your shirt up enough so that I can see alright."

I shake my head ok.

His hands feel ice cold against my skin and when he reaches the tender part I jerk. "Ouch!"

At the sound of my voice Weston is out of whatever trance he is in and now he is standing by my side. His hand holds mine. He looks right into my eyes to let me know that he is there and not once does he look down while the doctor is doing his exam on me.

"Sorry about that, it will probably be sore for a while longer." He holds his hand out for me to grab, pulling back up into sitting. "Well looks like your healing well and you have a good helper here." He points to Weston.

"So how is she doc?" Weston asks.

"She is going to be ok." He looks back at me. "Just take it easy for the next week or two alright. No heavy lifting and extreme activities alright."

"Yes sir."

As we are walking out, I turn to Weston. "Thanks for coming today, sorry it must have been awkward for you...maybe I shouldn't have asked you to come."

"Wait....what? Cecilia if I didn't want to come I wouldn't have. I'm glad you asked me to come."

"Yeah well you seemed for away in there, like you were not even there." I don't mean to sound like a bitchy girlfriend but it kind of comes out that way.

"I'm sorry..it's just..."

We are interrupted by my grandparents, "You ready to go dear; so what did the doctor say?"

"He says I'm healing well."

I turn to Weston. "I will see you later right?"

"Of course I will be there around six if that is ok...or call me if you need me to come a different time?"

"Of course it's ok."

We go our separate ways and I can't help but feel that something is really bothering him.