Panic at the talent show

Song: Storm inside of you by Veronica Ballestrini

I have been practicing all week, even on Wednesday night after being strangled by my father. My throat was a little sore but I still practiced because I don't want to mess up in front of everyone. If it was up to me I wouldn't even bother doing the talent show, however Emily would be hurt. So I have to at least try. I found a song that I feel that I can relate to because I have been going to therapy and my grandparents have been taking me to church on Sundays. I'm trying to get better but I know it is going to take a while, maybe a long while. My grandparents are going to the school to see me sing as well, only because Emily and Weston have been bragging about it all week long.

Weston has been begging me to sing to him while we are on the phone. He even mentioned doing it on facetime but I just can't bring myself to do it. I keep telling him that he will have to wait just like everyone else.

I wake up early to take a shower. I decide to wear the floral sundress that I wore on my first date with Weston. Yes I know everyone will see my scars that line my arms but Grammy was right I shouldn't be ashamed of who I am and what I have done. I have been hiding it long enough. The only ones I ever let see are my grandparents and Weston. I haven't even got up the courage to show Emily. I don't want people to feel sorry for me. After yesterday, everyone seen the bruises on my neck, hell this isn't much worse. At school I wear long sleeves even if it's like ninety degrees...I pretend that I am cold but really I don't want people staring.

When I get downstairs to sit at the table, they both look at me in shock.

"What?" I ask looking down at my dress. "Do I look that bad?"

"No not at all, you're beautiful. However are you sure you want to wear that today?" Grammy asks in surprise.

"I'm positive...you were right I shouldn't be ashamed of anything."

"Well...alrgihty them. Would you like me to help you with some make-up?"

"Nope...I'm going as me...the real me."

I run back up stairs to get my backpack. I see myself in the mirror and stop and stare at myself longer. The dress is really cute with thin straps over the shoulders; it fits nicely against my body and flares out at the bottom just right above my knees. Most of my bruises are healed now, well except for the ones around my neck. My eye has a faint bruise and is a light yellow. I turn my arm to see all the scars, old scars and new. Most of them I did myself. I run my fingers along the five that are parallel and so straight and perfect. They are light now but you can still see them. Then the worst one that goes from my elbow to my wrist, it's all crooked and wickedly scary to look at. It has not healed all the way and it still looks pretty bad.

One day everything will heal but today everyone will see the real me. I take a deep breath then head downstairs.

Today Weston is picking me up. When he pulls into the drive, I dash out of the house. He gets out to open the door for me. Before I get in he pulls me into him, his arms around my waist and he looks down at me.

"I love this dress on you." He says with a smile and I think he just winked at me.

"Awe...thanks. Sure it's not too much?"

"No not at all...so going all natural today. You sure you want to do this?"

"Why does everyone keep asking me that? Grammy and Pops just said the same thing."

"There is nothing wrong with it. I just didn't know about everyone at school, you know?"

"Well I can't hide forever, can I?"