Give them something to talk about

Song: Human by Christina Perri

I would rather stay home today but Pops says I should go to school. I don't want to have to explain the new bruises and believe me they look bad. You can tell someone strangled the shit out of me. I even have deep scratch marks where his nails dug into me.

I try to argue my way out of it while eating breakfast. "Please Grammy you guys just don't get it. I can't go. Everyone already talks about me and this will just make it worse. No one understands what it's like to live with an abusive father, an alcoholic one at that. A father who wants to kill his own daughter. And now I really have proof." I tilt my head for them to see all the bruises, not that they haven't already seen it. "There is no hiding this." Tears fill my eyes but they don't escape I try hard to hold them in.

"You know I just may be able to help with that come on upstairs with me," says Grammy. I follow her upstairs and Chipper runs up ahead of us like he knows where we are going.

"Now sit right here I will be right back." She comes back with a tote full of make-up. "I haven't used much of this in years, but I'm sure this foundation will help a little." I watch her work, her hands so soft against my sore flesh. She looks a little sad behind her eyes but she won't admit to it. I overheard her and Pops talking last night about my parents and thank god that they saved me when they did.

"Ok all done, here look." She turns the chair around so I can look in the mirror. "How's that?"

"Wow, looks great you can hardly tell anything, thanks Grammy." I stand up to hug her. I wish I had lived with them this whole time. My life would have been so different with them.

Pops lets me drive to school again and today I do so much better. Earlier in the week he had gotten me the study guide. I don't know why he is so determined on me learning how to drive.

I know the outburst in court hit the local news and was in the paper this morning. Matter of fact I seen the article this morning on the kitchen table before I left the house. Headlines read: Father tries to kill own daughter after sentence to forty plus years in court....I didn't bother reading the article because there is no point I know the truth and what really happened.

I know that at least half the school or more knows about it the minute I walk in the door. A few students come up to me and ask if I'm alright and how crazy it was. I just shrug them off and walk to my locker. Ericka along with her little clones come up to me.

"Cecilia we are so sorry if we had known..."

I turn to look at her interrupting her, "What....What you wouldn't treat me like shit?"

"Cecilia we want to apologize; we had no idea."

"Yeah well it's not like I broadcast my family issues."

Weston comes over, putting his arm around me. "Everything ok?"

Jessie butts in, "We're just trying to tell Cecilia that we really are sorry....for the way we treated her."

Then lord and behold Blake and Max come over. "We're sorry too, for lying about being with you. We were just being jerks."

I get that they are all sorry; I do however are they really or is it because now it's all pity. I don't need people feeling sorry for me. I'm still the same girl, who gives a shit if my father abused me since day one; who really cares that he tried to kill me. It hits the freakin' news and now people want to act like they give a shit about me.

I don't say anything; instead I turn back around to get the book I need for first period. I shut my locker and lock it then head off to my first class. Weston follows me in step by my side.