Graduation gift

Song: I'll keep you safe by Sleeping at Last

I found out that Pops shot him right in the head. It's all over the TV, radio and the local newspapers about how my dad escaped and came after me. Apparently he was being treated at a hospital for an injury and pulled a knife out on the doctor. They talked to the officer in charge but made no comment on how he managed to do that. They also made a huge mistake by not telling my grandparent of his whereabouts and his escape and Pops is planning on suing the state over it because there is a restraining order against him. They also mention Weston's name saying that if he hadn't came when he did who know what would have happened. Saying he is a hero for saving me. Even though Pops is the one who killed him.

I'm back home the next day and they are still cleaning up the mess he made. I offer to help but Grammy wants me to take it easy. I was told not to put pressure on my foot and my arm is in a sling so it's like I can't do much with one arm. I head upstairs to my room to be alone, well almost alone Chipper follows me. When we get to my room he jumps on the bed. I lay down beside him, letting him curl up in my arms. My head throbs from a headache. The minute I close my eyes, I fall asleep.

I dream of him in the house. He is coming back after me. My mind plays back everything like it's on replay mode. But this time Weston comes and my dad kills him. I yell out 'no'... 'no' over and over. Grammy is shaking me, trying to wake me up. "Cecilia it's just a bad dream...he is not here." She sits down beside me holding my hand. She pulls me into her lap, "shh! shhh!" I don't have to tell her about the dream she already knows it was about him. "He is gone sweetheart; you are safe."

A part of me realizes that he really is gone but there is a part of me that has him locked in my memories, where he will always remain regardless if he is alive or dead. It's where he will stay until he wants to come out to haunt me when I least expect it. Grammy holds me for a while, until my heart calms and I'm not trembling as bad. She holds me till my phone goes off.

She hands it to me, "Well look whose calling." She smiles.

Weston's name appears on the screen with a picture of us at the beach.

"Do you want me to tell him to call back later?" She asks.

"No...I got it." I push the button, putting the phone to my ear. "Hey!"

"Hey babe how are you feeling?"

"Fine." I lie. I just don't want him worrying about me. "How are you?"

"I'm doing alright. So I was thinking would it be alright if I come over?"

"Hold on." I pull the phone away from my ear to ask Grammy, "Can Weston come over?"

"Of course dear."

I hold the phone back to my ear. "She says it's ok...so I guess I'll see you in a few."

"Yeah..be right there. I love you."

"I love you too."

When Weston comes, I am still in my bedroom. He knocks before entering. Knock...knock...knock...

I call out, "Yeah!"

He opens the door. "So it's safe to come in?" He glances around the room. Then comes all the way in making his way over to my bed. He happens to be holding a bouquet of flowers.

"I thought you might like these...so tell me how you are really doing and don't say fine."

I huff. He knows me to well. "I'm sore all over. My foot hurts and my head is throbbing of a headache. I will be fine though. By the way thanks for coming."

"Thanks for inviting me over." He smiles.

"No...I mean for the other night. You came to save me. You stood up for me and refused to leave without me. He could have killed you....but you stayed anyway."