Auditioning

Song: Brave by Sara Bareilles

I know he is here. I know he is watching me even though I can't see him. The day goes by in a blur. At the end of the day I'm leaving and he walks in front of me.

"Where are you going?"

I walk through him. "Home, what does it look like?" I say under my breathe so others will not stare at me.

"Cecilia don't go home. Besides he is not there anyway so he will never know that you stayed."

"Why? I'm not going to get a part and even if I do it's not like I can do it."

"And...you will regret it if you don't at least try."

"Why is this so important to you?" I ask and a few people close by look my way.

"I just think it will be good for you. I think you will like it, come on please just go check it out."

"You're not going to leave me alone are you?"

"Nope...I'll just keep begging you till you do."

"Fine I'll go are you happy now."

"Yep." He smiles ear to ear and I can't help but smile.

When we get to the theater someone is on the stage auditioning. I walk over to the table and grab a number.

I keep watching the clock tick by. All that is on my mind is him, my father, thinking about another beating when I get home.

I don't hear when my number is called and Weston is snapping his fingers at me to get my attention. I walk up onto the stage with trembling legs. I can feel my heart racing but it's a good feeling not when it does when he comes after me. I keep telling myself to calm down because if I don't I'm going to have a break down and that can't happen in front of them.

As the music plays I take a deep breath, trying my hardest to calm my nerves. My hands even feel clammy and I wipe them off on the side of my jeans. I start out slow; you can even hear my nervousness through my voice. I close my eyes and sing...I let it all out.

When I am finished, I open my eyes and everyone is staring at me. At first I thought maybe I just sucked that bad but then she stands and starts clapping and then the rest of the class stands and they are all clapping. Even Weston. I form a soft smile. This is a different feeling that I have never felt before.

I glance up at the clock and hurry off the stage. Mrs. Banks calls after me. "Cecilia wait!"

I turn to look at her. "I really have to get home, it's getting really late."

"Class dismissed, I will see the rest of you tomorrow to finish up the auditions." She announces.

A few of the girls moan but Mrs. Banks lets it slide and she follows me out the door. "I'll take you home."

"Really Mrs. Banks it's alright...I will be fine."

"Nonsense dear get in." She climbs behind the steering wheel of her little blue bug. I get in the passenger seat.

"So where too?" she asks.

"Oh.. 216 Baker Street." I tell her as I put on my seat belt.

"The Fleming house." She looks surprised.

"Yes ma'am you sound surprised. Did you know them?"

"Weston was one of my students. Of course his dad did not like it too well afraid that it would take away from football but he managed to do both."

I look in the backseat at Weston in surprise. He on the other hand just shrugs his shoulders.

"Really wow. I would never have thought him to be a Drama boy."

"Shocker uh!" she smiles. "You act like you knew of him?"

"No ma'am just by listening to others around school, you know his friends that's all."

"Well he liked Drama if it was up to him he would have quit football all together but his dad wouldn't hear of that. Now his brother Walker loved football every bit of it. Sad what happened to that family." She sounds sad and I notice her eyes tearing up a little.

"Yeah, I know." I pause for a few seconds before asking her, "Mrs. Banks what happened to Weston. I mean he is still alive, do you know where he is now?"

"Oh, his grandparents have him over at Silentfalls Nursing home. The last I heard he was still in a coma. Hard to believe it's been almost a year now."

We pull up to my house and she says, "Well here we are, would you like me to come in with you?"

"No...I should be alright." I tell her as I'm looking up at the house.

"Are you sure, I don't mind talking to your parents?"

"Really I'm fine." I reassure her.

When I open the door to the house I wave to her and she slowly drives off. I'm not in my room long when I hear the front door open. I hear footsteps approaching closer to my door. When it opens he is standing there looking at me.

"Well kido guess what? I got a job today. So you will need to make sure you get home to clean the house and you better make sure you cook something by the time I get home, understand."

"Yes sir."

Later while we are eating super and he is talking to my mother I find out that he will be working second shift which means he will not be home till almost eleven at night. We are eating spaghetti tonight and for once he doesn't hit me. Shocker!!! After they eat they go to their room to celebrate behind closed doors. I wash the dishes and put the leftovers in the fridge.

The good things about all of this is that I can stay after school for Drama and still be home in time to clean the damn house and cook his dinner in time. And my mother has been waiting on tables and she has been pulling double shifts so she won't be home either. Well we will just have see how long he can actually keep the damn job. I give it a month but you never know.

-------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note...sorry for any misspelled words. I always try to go back and read through and hopefully it's fixed now.