Chapter 1: The Day Before

·Grace's POV·

My legs hurt from walking non-stop. Where was I? I had no idea. All I could think about was: Do not stop, you aren't safe yet. At the sight of an abandoned mansion at the end of the way, my heart skipped a beat.

"Run!" An unfamiliar voice shouted at me from afar.

And that's exactly what I did. Don't ask why or how do I trust the owner of that voice, because not even I can fathom the answer for that. For all I knew, he was the safest option - not only because he was the only person around here, but because of how secure I felt the closer I got to him.

Come on, only a few more meters Grace, you can do it. Sweat was dripping from my neck to my back, sending chills through my spine at the contact. Just as I was about to reach the mansion's enormous entrance, my arm was gripped against my will by bony, strong hands.

"NO! GRACE TAKE MY HAND!" The unknown person ordered me from the entrance, tending me said hand.

But it was too late. Before I could take it, the darkness had already consumed me.

"AHHH!!"

"Grace! Oh God, what happened?" Toli, one of my best friends enquired.

"Nightmare, you know, the usual." I said out of breath.

"Again?" Responded my other friend Katie.

"It seems like it... I'm so sick of all of this."

Both of them nodded their heads in agreement. I can see the sympathy in their eyes, trying to understand my awful situation.

I thought if I took up on Toli's offer of staying in for a sleepover with her and Katie, the nightmares would disappear for one night. How naïve can I be...

My name is Grace Lancaster and I'm your ordinary 17 year old girl. Light brown eyes, brunette and straight-A student. The only outstanding feature about me is my height and the fact that I've been having the same nightmare every night over the last two years. Some days not even the concealer can hide the bags under my eyes. Fortunately, I have the most amazing friends who support me no matter what.
On the one hand we have Toli Smith, a petite blonde with blue eyes. She is the typical rule-follower and perfect student. However, if you ever mess with someone she loves... You better run.
And on the other hand, Katherine Haynes. She is just awesome, with her pixie haircut and a mischievous glint in her green eyes. Katie is the clear example of free spirit. Sometimes I wish I could be more like her, carefree.

A girl can dream, can't she?

"We're here for you to talk about it, you already know that." Said Katie in an attempt to reassure me.

"Thank you..."

"We mean it Gracie, anytime." Toli responded in the same breathy tone.

"Of course. Anyway, enough with my drama. What time is it?"

"Almost seven."

"I don't know about you guys, but I'm not sleepy anymore."

"Me neither."

"Let's chat then." Toli proposed. "School year is almost starting, and this time we'll be seniors!!"

"Yayy life..." Katie said in response to Toli's attempt to lighten up the mood. I swear I heard her mutter under her breath: "How can she be excited about that? For real!".

I laughed, feeling most of the stiffness leave my body. We kept talking until it was time for Katie and I to leave to our respective houses. I parked my old Volkswagen Golf in front of my parents garage. As soon as I stepped a foot into my home, mum was all over me.

"How was the 'girls night'? Did you have fun?" Then, the inevitable question left her mouth. "Did you have any nightmares?"

"1: Good. 2: Yes. 3: Is that even a question?"

She hopelessly sighed. I was a lost case.

"Where's dad by the way?"

"He's working and won't be home until the evening, I'm afraid."

I was born to James and Rebecca Lancaster in Saint Mary's Port seventeen years ago. My dad is part of three generations of military officers. It all started with my great grandfather. Then my grandfather followed his steps and so did my father. I was tempted to continue the tradition and be the first female family member to do so or, at least, do some volunteering.

"Oh honey, come here. Tomorrow we are having lunch with your grandfather, don't make any plans."

"Yes ma'am" I saluted her and went straight to my room.

When I entered, I laid in bed facing the ceiling. Nine hours have passed since I had the nightmare and I can't stop thinking about it. The fear still lingers in my body, making it feel numb. I can't help but think that something really bad is about to happen. I will be meeting the mysterious boy behind the voice soon. Really soon.

*****
Hello there, my fellow Wattpad readers! First of all, I want to say that I will be posting as regularly as possible before the summer ends. I didn't plan to be more than a reader in this community, but I got the inspiration to write my own novel. I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of this book as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Love,