Chapter 16: Stay Away

·Grace's POV·

"Archer, it was my grandfather. He killed you."

"Y-your gr-grandfather. How long have you known? " He stuttered. His hold on me started to lose strength. I caught his upper arms so he wouldn't put distance between us.

"He just told me today because I prodded. I don't know if I'll be able to forgive him but something he said startled me. He wasn't in control of his body, it was like someone or something was using him as a puppet."

"And you really believed him?! He killed me, Grace! Who knows what else he's capable of doing?"

"Trust me, I've known him all my life. Never in a million years would he harm an innocent person. That's not an excuse for what he did to you, but somewhere deep inside I think what he says might be true. He had nightmares too. His were about a fire though. Just think about it. My nightmares and his, the murder, you. It may be all connected."

He gripped the hem of my shirt, seeming to be deep in thought. Firstly, his face showed anguish and then, something changed. Archer started to look as if he was battling with his own mind, squinting his eyes and staring at the floor beneath us.

"Archer, are you okay?"

He finally raised his head and looked at me. His beautiful brown eyes were now pitch black.

Okay, that's not normal.

"I will be once you get the hell out of here." He answered me, shoving me backwards.

"You don't mean that."

"What would you know? You're just a conceited brat who only cares about her problems. My nightmare this, my grandfather that." He mimicked me. "I do not care about any of that, and I'm sure as heck I don't care about you. So piss off."

This wasn't Archer. He would never, EVER, treat me that way. I decided to do the same thing I always do to calm him down. If I touch his cheek and he puts up a fight, I'll know it isn't him.

Just when I was about to do it, he gripped my forearm with his strong hands. The way they felt... It reminded me of... Oh, hell no.

The bony hands from my nightmare. The darkness.

"You are possessed. It was all true."

"Are you hearing yourself right now? You are insane. Stay away from me."

"No, I won't leave you. Archer, I know you are in there. It's me, Grace. Please fight the darkness!" I pleaded him.

"What are you talking about? Last warning, go home."

"Archer, please. You are stronger than he is."

"Time's up."

Before I could comprehend what he was about to do, he had caught my shoulders and had pushed me against the nearest tree. I uselessly tried to break free. He was way stronger than I was. I made use of my last option.

"Fuck!" He grunted in pain when I hit his two friends. I hope Archer forgives me later, if I achieve saving him.

I ran inside the correctional and headed to the fifth deck, possessed Archer hot on my heels. As I entered the secret room in an attempt to make him remember, he knocked me to the ground, harming the side of my forehead.

"I'm gonna make you pay for that." He threatened me, signaling his private area.

"Archer, please, it's me. Don't do this, don't let him win." I begged, fearing for my life. His possessed version raised a hand to slap me on the face, but he hesitated. He kept his arm in the air, completely still. Again, that troubled look appeared on his face.

That's my Archer. He wouldn't dare lay a hand on me. I need to help him. When was the last time something affected him insanely positively?

The answer was right in front of me, literally.

I took the nape of his neck with one hand and held his cheek with the other. I started moving my lips, wishing for him to do it as well. However, his were as still as a statue.

He hasn't pulled me back yet, that's a good sign. Time to add fuel to the fire.

I took a hold of his messy hair and pulled it slightly, while kissing him. Then, I noticed. Archer started to kiss me back. I smiled and internally cheered. His hands moved down to my hips, pulling me closer. He finally pulled back and when I opened my eyes, a certain pair of light brown ones were already staring at me.

"ARCHER!" I hugged him with all my might. He was still on top of me and we were both on the floor, but I neither of us seemed to care.

"It was awful, Grace. I couldn't control myself and I almost hit you. I wouldn't have forgiven myself if I had." He caressed the side of my face. "You are bleeding. So I have? I've hurt you? I'm so sorry, love. I swear it wasn't me."

Archer stood up and moved away from me, regret eating him alive.

"Hey, I know. That was what I was telling you about before you started to act like crazy. What drived my grandfather to kill you, has possessed you today as well. That's the real murderer. I still can't understand how that happened."

"You were kind of defending your grandfather. After what he did to me, I couldn't think about a reason why you would be doing such a thing. It hurt me a lot. And the next thing I know, the same feeling of anguish I've been feeling lately while I'm alone started to spread through all my body. I tried to fight it back and I failed. When I'm with you, that feeling disappears, but when you seemed to choose my murderer over me, it intensified infinitely."

In a few strides I was in front of him again.

"I was not picking a side Archer. I was just trying to understand. My grandfather didn't kill you, and you haven't harmed me. The one to blame here is the darkness. It possessed you both and it's been haunting me for the past couple of years."

"I start to get it. And how did you know the kiss would save me?"

"I remembered how good you felt with our first one, after that horrible day at your parent's house. I simply prayed it would work in that situation too." I muttered sheepishly, rubbing the back of my head.

He intertwined our fingers and said:

"Thank you, Grace."

"No need to thank me, really."

"Don't be so humble. I know how to pay you for your services."

"It's fine Archer."

"Just let me finish. I hate being the one who hurt you, possessed or not. And although I don't remember everything that has happened while I was 'gone', I don't recall seeing you defending yourself very well."

"Hey! I hit you in your manhood!"

"I believe you, I can still feel it." Archer grimaced at the feeling. "But anyhow, you need some fighting advice and I'll be more than happy to help you with that."

"You know how to fight?" I asked him, surprised.

"What can I say? I got into some fights myself back in the time. Never lost one." He winked at me.

I stared at him in disbelief.

"So, no excuses. Next weekend, you and I have plans. Is it clear, love?"

"Crystal."

Maybe it will help me in the future, who knows?

                              *****

A.N: The darkness has finally made an appearance, causing Archer and Grace to have a fighting class next chapter. See you  by then!
Love,