Chapter 4: Confessions

·Grace's POV·

"Do you have anything to do with my nightmares?"

"What nightmares?"

"Oh come on! Of course you do! You are in every single one of them..."

He stared at me with a mix of confusion and fascination. I guess that seeing me this paranoid amuses him.

"Love, I don't know what you're talking about."

"How can you not? You pretty much try to save me every time in them and... Hold on, did you just call me love?"

"Well, that's strange... The only thing I know for sure is that some protective instinct kicked in when I first laid my eyes on you. I don't know how to explain it, it was like a need. You looked so vulnerable looking at St. George, I wanted to do something about it. Moreover, that instinct is stronger the closer we are. Call it primal."

I stood there, looking at him. So he feels it too? That strong attraction. It scares me, but at the same time I can't get enough of it, you know? At least it's good to know that it's not one-sided.

"Oh and for the record,-" He continued talking right next to me, making me shiver. "-get used to the nickname love, 'cause it stays and there's no turning back."

Okay, that's what I call extra confidence.

"Hey, chill. We've only known each other for twenty minutes tops."

"Okay, okay. I'll try to control myself."

Damn straight you will.

"Good."

"May you tell me what the nightmare is about?"

And so I did, not leaving any detail behind. I explained how it's settled in St. George, how he tries to save me from the darkness every time and how I always summon to it. Normally, only few details change during the course of the nightmare.

"The thing I feel most intrigued about is the closeness of our hands at the end of the dream, when you order me to take it. Two years ago, the distance was enormous but, as the time passed by, it became shorter. Yesterday, our hands almost touched for the very first time."

"I can only think of one meaning. It is a metaphor of how much time left did we had until we finally met each other."

"Yes, it makes total sense. But what about the darkness? I don't know about you, but I feel like it's a premonition."

"Let's hope it's not."

Silence fell between us, both of us immersed in thought. I stole a glance at his way and I caught him already staring at me. Thank God for the darkness and damn my blood vessels for the blushing cheeks.

"What?"

"I'm still trying to understand how can I touch you."

"Don't you think there are too many coincidences?"

"Indeed." He shut up after that, looking through the window to the dimly lit street.

"I don't mean to intrude..."

"Sure you don't." He cut me with a cocky smirk.

I decided to ignore that and asked:

"How did it happen? Your death I mean... You don't have to answer if you're not comfortable. I'm curious, that's all."

"Will you believe me if I tell you that I don't remember almost anything? Sure, I know there was fire and I collapsed after inhaling too much dust, I guess. Nonetheless, I don't recall how it happened, it's not clear... I was up in my secret spot reading when I heard someone shout: 'Fire!'. Then, I went downstairs, but it was too late. The flames were everywhere and so was the dust. I tried my best to survive, helping others in the way. However just before I could reach the main door, I fainted. Just. Like. That. All I can remember is as if all the wind had been knocked out of my lungs accompanied with a huge pain in my back. How it occurred? That, love, is still a mystery to me."

That was horrible. I could see how affected he was by all that. And why wouldn't he be Grace?! He died and he doesn't know why did that happen! I don't want to imagine what's like to him. Living in the dark, not having a clue about your own death and why is he the only one still roaming the Earth.

"Grace, we both need answers, don't you see?"

"Well, yeah, but..."

"I'll help you figure out the meaning of your nightmare if you help me solve the mystery of my death. Do we have a deal?"

What can I do? I need his help, but if that means I'll end up consumed by the darkness or something worse, is it worth it? Am I going to risk it?

                              *****

A.N: Hello!! We now know some of Archer's story. But what's going to decide Grace? He might be the cause of the darkness' appearance, for all she knows... We'll find out in the next chapter.
Love,