Chapter 12: Shattered

·Grace's POV·

The rain always soothes me. Its sound, its smell, the way the cold drops feel against my warm skin. No matter how horrible my day went, the rain washes all my problems away giving way to a state of peacefulness.

But not today.

After agreeing to Archer's proposal, I decided to pay his parents a visit the following day. To my surprise, William and Beatrice Sutcliffe live in the most luxurious neighborhood in this town. They are both in their late seventies and are one of the nicest couples out there. That's basically all I know about them, which is bad taking into account I'm heading to their house at this very moment.

Archer should have shared a little more information with me...

Anyway, I decide to enjoy the weather and forget about what I'm about to do. I find it pretty funny, how the weather sometimes matches our mood.
If we're happy, the sun looks like it's shining brighter than before.
If we are angry, ash-gray clouds seem to concentrate up in the sky.
If we feel sad or hopeless, rain starts to pour as if it is sheding all the tears we refuse to let flow.

I then spotted Archer's old house from under my umbrella. The scenery before me was quite the contrast.
A white, immaculate mansion surrounded by the most beautiful garden ever contemplated stood under the gray sky, being drenched by the persistent drizzle.

Nothing is never what it seems, and this is the clear example of that. You can stare at the most breathtaking house owned by the most perfect family, but that doesn't mean that the happiness reigns inside those walls. On the contrary, those who smile the brightest are often the saddest, hiding behind a mask of fake cheerfulness.

Let's pray that I won't be the reason for that mask to crack.

The fence was wide open, so I just had to follow the stone path directing me to the door. Once I was in front of it, I took a deep breath and before I could knock someone spoke by my side:

"I can't wait to hear their voices again, it's been so long." Archer said by my side.

Wait, Archer?

"What are you doing here?!" I whisper-shouted at him.

"Did you think I wouldn't come and hear the news with my own ears?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Well obviously, because for all I knew you couldn't leave the correctional."

"It's not that I can't, it's just that I never felt like it. They can't even see me, love. It would be masochist if I came here and watch everyone carrying on with their lives without me."

A sad look appeared on his face and, God, how I wished I could make it go away.

Without any idea of what to respond, I just knocked on the wooden door.

Some seconds later, an old woman opened the door. She had Archer's brown eyes.

"How can I help you sweetheart?"

"I...ummm.."Archer then took my hand and held it, just as affected. This is the first time seeing her mother after forty long years. I took a deep breath and introduced myself. "My name is Grace Lancaster, ma'am. I'm here to write an article for the school's newspaper. I was wondering if you could give me some information, if you do not mind."

"Of course not! I'll help you with pleasure. And please, call me Bea."

"Will do Bea." I smiled kindly at her.

She showed me the way to the living room.

"Please, take a seat Grace. Do you want anything to drink?"