Chapter 34: Farewell

·Grace's POV·

My body was ready for the impact of the bullet, but it never came. I opened my eyes and discovered what has just happened. I was laying on the floor after being pushed aside by Archer with such the wild strength.

He has saved my life.

"You can't stay put, can you ghost?!" The darkness yelled at Archer.

"No. And I'm warning you, if I were you, I wouldn't think about harming Grace again, for your own sake."

"Are you trying to intimidate me?" He laughed it off and continued. "You are a player of this game I've created, kid. You can't get rid of me. None of you can."

"We'll see about that." I finally spoke.

"You shut that pretty little mouth of yours before I pull the trigger and put a bullet between your eyebrows. Got it?"

To put emphasis on his point, he directed the gun to my forehead. I simply nodded. I've escaped death just two minutes ago. I don't want to risk it again.

"Good."

"What do you want from her then?"

"I think I stated my point clearly enough. I want her body, I want to shatter her into a million pieces."

"You also said that she's too strong for you. Why don't you just give up and leave her in peace?"

"What can I say? I love a challenge."

Possessed Scott started walking towards me with a dangerous look on his pale face. The next thing I know is that he had his hands around my throat, beginning to choke me. From the corner of my eye, I saw Archer trying to push him away from me while saying loads of profanities.

My sight was starting to fail and I was running out of air when I heard someone unlock the safety of a gun. After that, another sound of the aforementioned gun shooting filled the air and the grasp on my neck started to loosen up until I didn't feel it anymore.

I collapsed on the floor, inhaling as much air as I could get. Archer kneeled beside me, stroking my back carefully. I contemplated the scenery in front of me.

Scott's body was laying on the floor too, barely breathing, and I approached him. He let out weak coughs and looked at me.

"Grace..."

"Scott?" I answered, sobbing uncontrollably.

"No matter what happens to me, remember: It wasn't your fault." He whispered.

I took his hand in mine. I won't let him die alone.

"You've set me free from that monster. I'm forever grateful."

I started to hear the sound of a siren coming from outside the correctional.

"Stay with me, please. Help is on the way." I gripped his hand tighter.

"I love you Grace. Don't forget me."

"I won't, 'cause you'll live. You'll see."

With a pained expression, he replied:

"We both know that's not true."

Scott touched a strand of my hair and stared at me.

"I'll wait for you on the other side... Goodbye G." He concluded weakly, losing all the strength left in him.

After three minutes holding him while crying, a bunch of policemen entered the building.

"Miss, are you harmed?" One of them asked.

"No. I'm fine."

He then took Scott's pulse.

"He's dead!" The policeman shouted to the crew.

A few more rebel tears left my eyes at the mention of Scott's decease.

"We will need you to tell us what happened when you are ready. First, you need a check up. Follow me."

He led me to the front yard, where an ambulance was parked.

"Grace!" I heard Toli shout.

I turned my head and saw my mum, dad, Toli, Katie, Roland and Isaac standing there. They all came rushing towards me and hugged me.

"I can't believe this happened. We're so, so sorry for not believing you honey." My mum apologized.

"I don't know what we would have done if you were dead Grace." My dad kissed my temple.

When I looked at my friends, Isaac was trying to cheer Toli up. At the same time, Roland was holding Katie by the waist and comforting her while she cried. I see these two have made some progress.

"I'm so glad you're fine." Toli said to me with red eyes from shedding loads of tears.

"We all are." Roland added and Isaac nodded.

Katie just came to me and hugged me once again.

"Hey, I'm here." I whispered.

"I almost lost you." She whispered back.

"I told you you wouldn't. Do I ever break my promises?"

"Well, there was one time when you promised you would go shopping with me and-"

"Oh zip it, Isaac!" I laughed, cutting him before he finished. It didn't last much though, as I saw how the paramedics were taking Scott's body away. "I need to go inside for a moment. I'll be back in a couple of minutes."

"Okay, don't take too long. We'll wait for you here." Toli kind of understood why I needed to return there. My friends' faces showed that were as affected as I was because of our loss.

As soon as I entered, I headed to the secret spot once again. Dodging the policemen wasn't a simple task, but it wasn't impossible either.

"Archer." I called him once I arrived.

He started to appear before my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Grace."

"For what exactly?"

"For killing Scott."

"You heard the darkness, Archer. He couldn't be saved. Scott was trapped inside his own body. He literally called the darkness monster before passing away. Moreover, you didn't have any other choice. Where did you get the gun, by the way?"

"When I was trying to push him away from you, his gun dropped from his back pocket. I didn't want to use it, but I couldn't let him kill you either."

"Thank you. You've saved my life two times in a row today."

I kissed him and rested my head on his chest, my arms loosely around his body.

After one minute or so, a bright, white light appeared out of nowhere, illuminating the whole room. Archer and I kept holding hands, but our full attention was on said light.

I couldn't believe my eyes at the sight in front of us.

Ella - dressed in white from head to toe - stood a meter away from us.

"Ella?"

"Hello Grace. I'm happy to see you again." She smiled sweetly at me.

"What's going on?"

"You two have helped us destroy the darkness." She looked at Archer. "We needed you to kill that boy in order to kill the spirit he was possed by too. You had our blessing to do so."

"Our blessing? Tell me who you really are, Ella."

"Grace, I'm your guardian angel."

                              *****

A.N: So Grace wasn't dead after all. Got ya! And Ella is here too. All the explanations you want and need will be revealed in the next chapter.
Love,