Chapter 13: Talk To Me

·Grace's POV·

Archer needed some time alone, I get that. The day didn't go exactly as he expected. First of all, he finally faced his family after forty long years without seeing any of them. Secondly, they told me he was definitely dead, crashing all his hopes for the future. And finally, his "friend" got into a heated discussion with his younger brother, upsetting him.

It was only fair for him to be angry at the world. However, I can't let him suffer on his own. It isn't in my blood.

So here I am, walking to St. George the same day's afternoon, few hours before I return home. What did you think? That I would leave 'till next week without apologizing?

I didn't even knocked on the door this time, nor I called out his name because I knew exactly where to find him. Five decks after, I arrived to our spot.

His back was facing me, as if it was putting up a wall between the two of us. It was my mission to bring it down. As always, he noticed my presence next to him.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to talk about this morning."

"Well, I don't want to. You can go now."

He hasn't even spared me a glance at me yet!

"Please Archer. It's bad to bottle things up."

"Good thing I'm dead and I don't feel anything at all. Leave."

"Okay stop it. We both know that's not true. I know you are hurt, I really do. Today has been an awful day and I did nothing to make it better. On the contrary! I made it worse. I shouldn't have used something as personal as that memory to prove my point and I'm so sorry. I had no right to talk to your brother that way but in my defense-"

"You really think this is about Noah?" he cut me mid-sentence.

"That's the thing! I don't know what to think! Acher, I'm begging you, talk to me."

"You want me to talk? So let's talk then." He raised his voice out of anger. "My parents are both almost eighty years old and my brother looks like my freaking father. Last time I saw them they were thirty seven and Noah couldn't even recite all the multiplication tables. How would you react if that happened to you? Oh yeah, and I almost forgot about something. The fact that now there's no doubt I'm dead. Literally, my corpse is rotting inside the family crypt. So sorry if you don't like me feeling sorry for myself, but at least your dreams aren't slipping through your fingers, unlike mine." He finally looked at me. There was a wild fire in his eyes, threatening to ignite us both.

In an attempt to calm him down, I took his face in my hands and forced him to look at me when I said:

"I won't say I understand 'cause I clearly don't. But those dreams you're talking about only existed for a day, because before I told you about the graveyard incident, you were sure about your own death. It was me who put you in this situation and, as I said before, I'm sorry. I'm sorry you have to feel this way, I'm sorry I fought with Noah, I'm sorry you don't recognize your parents and I'm sorry you are dead. I'm here for you, and I will always be. No matter how tough things get, I will stand by your side- which is way better than doing this alone. For that, you need to trust me (although you might not anymore in regards to this morning's encounter). I will work hard to regain that trust, for it means the world to me."

He looked dumbstruck. Archer is close to get my point. I sighed and continued:

"I will be frank with you. Yesterday, I told you that you might not like what your parents had to say. I had a feeling that you weren't alive, but you still tried to convince me otherwise. So don't say I didn't warn you. I hate being the one breaking it down to you. Nevertheless, I won't say you didn't need a reality check. You almost remember everything that happened that awful night, even the fact that you died in the act. All you have to find out is who caused the fire and killed you. So don't give up for something you already knew Archer. You once said to me: 'We will make this work'. Then show me. Show me how it's done."

He stared at me for what felt like ages until the most unpredictable thing occurred. He took me by the nape of my neck and closed the space between our lips.

The kiss was anything but gentle. I could almost taste the anger he felt just moments ago. It was like he couldn't get enough of me, bringing me closer to him - if that was even possible - holding me by my lower back. The heat of the moment didn't seem to cease. How could it? The attraction between us was too strong.

Just like all good things, it came to an end.

I pulled back, looking at his beautiful eyes. This couldn't go any further, for my own sake. I won't let myself fall for someone who I'm so close to lose. Even if I don't, I will continue aging whereas he's stuck at seventeen forever. As much as we want each other, it isn't fair for anyone.

"Wow." He simply said, glowing.

"Archer, we shouldn't do this." I put my hands on his chest, while his rest intertwined behind my lower back.

"Do what? This?" He kissed the corner of my mouth. "This?" Then my jawline. "Or this?" Finally, behind my ear.

"S-stop it right now" I ordered.

"That bad?"

That good...

"It's not that... Understand, we aren't in the best situation."

"Yeah, I do understand. Sorry, I should have controlled myself."

"You weren't the only one, it takes two to tango."

We laughed awkwardly after that. To break the ice I asked:

"Do you feel better?"

"Wayyy better." I hit him on the arm playfully. "Seriously, I do. You showed me I was being dramatic. They didn't say anything I didn't know before, right? I've come to terms with my fate and all I can think about now is bust the douche who killed me."

"We will make him pay, I promise."

"Looking forward to it, love."

                              *****

A.N: They have kissed for the first time! You know, with the heat of the moment and that stuff... However, Grace didn't like the fact that she enjoyed it so much... See ya in next chapter.
Love,