Chapter 23: Follow My Lead

·Grace's POV·

It's decided then. Today I'll tell Archer my decision. Although it may not be the safest one, I want to experience what it's like to be with someone who I don't have to hide my real self from.

I know for a fact that Archer is going to be over the moon when he hears the news and I can't wait to tell him. I'm already imaging it, the look on his face. Anyhow, I still need to be careful. I've decided to give him a chance, but that doesn't mean I'll wear my heart on my sleeve.

I reach St. George late in the afternoon today. Archer could be spotted sitting on the couch in the huge living room, reading the book I bought him.

"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea-" I tested his literary knowledge once again.

At the sight of me there, reciting my favorite verse of 'Annabel Lee', he smiled.

"-can never dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Grace Marie." He confidently finished.

"Of course you would do that. It's '-the beautiful Annabel Lee' you dork."

"A poem is meant for you to feel what you are reciting Grace. If your name perfectly fits in there, I'll happily change it."

I blushed. Do his feelings for me run that deep?

Grace, he's just been his regular self.

"How have you been this week?" I asked to change the subject.

"Bored, as always. I'm running out of books to read." He huffed in a childish way, leaving the the book he was holding on top of the table in front him.

"I might be able to help you with that, don't worry."

"Thank God." I chuckled. "And what about you?"

"The usual. Tests, homework, talking about prom and... Oh, yeah! Scott apologized for what happened before Christmas."

"It took him a while. What a jerk."

"It was you who kinda started it Archer."

"Okay, maybe a little. I didn't throw the first punch though."

"He has a black eye!"

"He deserves to look like a racoon! If he hadn't tried to fight me, his pretty boy's face wouldn't have been damaged." Archer shrugged, trying to play down the importance of the situation.

I may have let out a snort when he said the racoon part...

"So prom, huh?"

"Yes, it still some months away but people are already talking about it. Even Katie has a prom date by now!"

"You don't?" He looked surprised.

"No... I don't really need one. I wouldn't even be able to slow dance properly with my date. I'm a disaster." He rolled his eyes at me.

"You don't dance bad at all, believe me, I've witnessed it. A couple of times to be exact."

"We slow danced for thirty seconds, how would you know?" I laughed and he joined.

"Then, let me teach you. Wait a second."

Archer turned on the old radio and tuned a random station. They started playing 'Turning Page' by Sleeping at Last.

"May I have this dance again?"

"If you must..."

He took my arms and positioned them around his neck and shoulders, his hands resting on my lower back afterwards.

"Just follow my lead, you'll be fine. I got you, don't I?"

"I guess."

Hmm, this wasn't so bad. All I had to do was follow his feet movements. After a few more seconds, I got the drill and felt confident enough to not look at the floor. So intead I looked at him.

"Told you you weren't bad at it."

"Okay, okay, you were right."

The chorus started to sound.

"Wouldn't it be nice? You and I at prom, dancing like this." I asked him.

"It certainly would." He twirled me around. "Everybody would be looking at us, ruling the dance floor."

"You haven't met Isaac. He has some moves."

"Who?"

"Right, I haven't told you about him. Just imagine. You, meeting my friends properly."

"Introducing myself as an old friend."

"Or something else."

It was time to tell him my decision.

"What are you talking about Grace?" He stopped dancing for a moment.

"Last week you asked me to reconsider and I've done it. As I was told: Better risk and possibly get hurt than to play it safe and think about the what ifs. Here's my decision Archer. I want you and I want to try. If you take me, obviously."

There. The face I've been waiting for. A mixture of enthusiasm, shock and something else I can't describe.

"Are you sure about this, love? Even if our time together is running out?"

"Then, let's make it count."

His smile. God, do I love his smile. The dimple showing in his right cheek.

Archer took me in his arms and elevated me, spinning us around once again but, this time, in happiness.

When he put me on the floor again, everything was spinning. We laughed it off and looked at each other, smiling like idiots. He was smiling because he finally has someone to be his companion in his lonely life, whereas I was smiling because I chose to let my emotions run free for once in my life. I felt free and careless, not minding about anything but him and I.

When the adrenaline ran off, he caressed my cheek and said:

"I promise to make you the happiest girl on Earth, at least until we have to part ways. Thank you for taking me as I am, I'm forever grateful Grace."

He then kissed me gently as if he was fearing this was all a dream and I might slip through his fingers. But I'm not going anywhere. I belong here, with him.

"I promise to be there for you when you need me, every step of the way ahead of us. I'll try to make you feel alive again."

"You already have, love. You've been achieving that ever since we met."

This was it, our beginning. We don't want to think about the cons of our new relationship, not now at least. Although I won't say I'm in love, fear still too present in my life, I know one thing for sure: The new path we've taken might lead us anywhere from now on, but I'm willing to discover the end of it. By his side.

                             *****
A.N: FINALLY! They are together. It's a fact. But remember, the relationship is still new, they aren't thinking about the consequences of their decisions. You've been warned once again.
Love,