Capítulo 8: Step By Step

·Grace's POV·

It's been a very hectic week, between hanging out with Archer during the early mornings and with my friends during the rest of the day. I came up with a credible excuse for why I'm not home from 7 to 11 am: I'm doing exercise. I fooled neither Toli nor Katie at first but they ended giving up. It's not as if I would be doing anything better during that period of time (or that's what I made them believe). However, it's a matter of time until they discover the truth.

Right now I'm with Archer at St. George.

"Hey love, a penny for your thoughts?"

"It's nothing. Just wondering how much time do we have until Toli and Katie bust me." I sighed, feeling an invisible weight over my shoulders.

"You can always tell them if you want to. Of course, there's always the chance they make an appointment with the nearest psychiatrist. Or, who knows? They might even understand."

"Wouldn't it bother you? You know, the fact that more people know about your... situation."

Smooth Grace.

"It's not worth it if it means you being eaten alive by the guilt. You seem quite anxious these days."

"That obvious?"

"Pretty much, yeah."

From the one hand, I know that telling my friends the truth is the correct thing to do. In addition, they already know about my nightmare, so that way it would be easier for them to believe me. Nevertheless, telling them about Archer's memory issues feels wrong. No matter how much he doesn't want to make a fuss about it. That is still very personal.

"I'm going to tell them about you and how much you are helping me working out the significance of the nightmare. However, I'm not coming clean about your memory lapses. I do not have the right to do so."

"Thank you Grace. It means a lot, seriously."

"That way, it will still be you and me against the world. Back to the point why I am here. The story you told me a week ago, is the only memory you have about your death?"

He looked concentrated, trying to remember anything else. Finally, he said:

"I also remember adults shouting downstairs. Like people who didn't want anyone of us to survive. Someone wanted us dead, love. And they achieved their goal."

"What? So it was a murder then?"

My grandfather said it was an accident... Was all the city population told that same story to cover up the reality of what happened? Who would be that twisted to kill dozens of children and young adults? We need to make them pay for the atrocious crime they committed.

"It seems so... Those bastards, why did they have to do that to us?"

The troubled look on his handsome face was quite the contrast. Just like my hand was acting on its own, it reached Archer's jawline and started caressing it. His soft face tingled the skin of my right hand's palm, making a weird wave of electricity run through my veins. His gorgeous brown eyes bored into mine, looking for a way to respond to my touch. His pupils dilated, showing me that I wasn't the only one feeling this attraction between us. Sure, he may have flirted with me once or twice during the week, in a jokingly way. This was different, this passion and chemistry were out of this world.

"I want to show you something" He broke the spell we both were under. Our faces were mere inches apart.

"Okay, do it."

I cleaned an invisible dust coat from my leggings, feeling uncomfortable while walking by his side.

We had climbed up four rows of stairs when I noticed a hatch that connected the fifth deck to the attic. So that's what he wants to show me...

We crossed through it and the view which was now before me was absolutely stunning. This is Archer's secret spot.

The green light that entered from the stained glass gave the room a certain mysterious and dark aura

The green light that entered from the stained glass gave the room a certain mysterious and dark aura. Some would find it creepy, whereas I found it beautiful.

"I love it."

"You do?" His face beamed with happiness.

"How could I not to? It brings me to another decade in the past. Don't get me started with the antiquities. You even have your own shelf filled with books right there, at the corner! It must be fascinating reading here, especially when it rains. Oh, I can almost see it. Fascinating!"

"It's satisfying, not going to lie." He responded to my euphoric rambling, not even trying to suppress his amusement. "We can come up here anytime you want. Kind of our reunion spot. I love seeing you so excited about this, it warms my cold, dead heart."

I had to laugh at that, his attempts to make puns were horrible, to say the least. But what really escaped my lips was a nervous giggle, taking into account I just noticed he had grabbed my hand after finishing his sentence.

"It's settled. Now it's our secret spot." I told him, joking.

"I wouldn't want it any other way." He finished, kissing the back of my hand.

                                *****

A.N: They are just so cute. Don't you think? As always, I hope you liked this new chapter. I was asked to let a little bit of romance flow between the two of them...
Love,