Chapter 25: Perfectly Wrong For Me

·Grace's POV·

I haven't told anyone about my fight with Scott. He looked so... dangerous. Gone was the broken boy with a golden heart, giving way to the violent, mad new version of him.

Hopefully, one day he will forgive me for doing this to him. I know I shouldn't feel guilty, but he's been through a lot and I'm just making it worse. Nevertheless, Scott needs to understand that my feelings for Archer run deep, making it difficult to deny it to him.

Even to myself. Love is a strong word to use while talking about a relationship. However, it perfectly reflects what Archer and I feel for one another. Shivers run down my spine just by thinking about it.

I can't fall head over heels in love with him. I know I agreed to give us a shot, but right now I'm in denial. My heart tells me that I love him, whereas my brain tries to convince me otherwise. This is so complicated.

St. George came into view after some minutes walking under the rain, so I hurried and entered the building as fast as I could, heading to the secret spot.

I found my "boyfriend" looking through the window at the stormy scenery, as he always does when the weather is like this.

"Hey." I greeted him.

Archer turned around and smiled, slowly making his way towards me. He then put his hands on my lower back - holding me close - and gave me a sweet peck on my lips.

"Hi. I missed you."

"Me too..."

His expression changed from happiness to concern in one second, sensing something was wrong.

"Will you tell me what's bothering you? Or will I have to draw it out?"

He should know. The fight was about him, anyway.

"I fought with Scott four days ago."

"Doesn't he learn from his previous mistakes?"

"This time I do see where his coming from, Archer. He wanted me to be his prom date and I rejected him. After all the obstacles he's had to overcome, from the loss of his mother to dealing with his alcoholic father, I said no. Now he blames me for breaking his heart, shattering it to small pieces." I explained to him.

"Ugh, I can't even look at him. Why does he have to go after you? I mean, I know why 'cause I've chased you too. But if you don't seem to treat him as anything more than a friend, why doesn't he forget about you?" He asked exasperated.

"You know feelings don't work that way. Try to understand him, he's had a tough life. One day he meets a girl who lights up his dark existence, giving him hope to continue and be a better man. Will he get over her in just a week? I don't think so. What I don't get is why he acted so hysterically."

Okay, so Archer is starting to look furious.

"Tell me he didn't touch you. Tell me or else I will go right now to wherever he is and beat him black and blue myself."

"Chill Archer! He didn't. He punched the locker which was by my side in anger, that's all. Don't sweat it. "

"DON'T SWEAT IT?! HE COULD'VE HURT YOU, GOD DAMMIT!!"

"Hey, it's okay. I'm okay." I reassured him, taking his face in my palms. All he was seeing then was red.

"Does he know you rejected him because of me?"

"He does, I made sure of it. I didn't want to lie about us. That's one of the things that infuriated him the most."

"After how he treated you, how can you still defend him Grace?" Archer eyed me suspiciously, raising an eyebrow.

"Scott is one of my best friends and he means a lot to me. He might have overreacted, but I can't stay mad at him for too long. He's like my little brother, I love him."

Archer's face turned as white as a sheet when the last words left my mouth.

"You what?" Archer pressed.

"Come on Archer, I don't love him that way. You know it."

"Do I?"

"Don't. I already came clean about what I feel about you."

"Why don't you enlighten me, love? I'm dying to hear the literal words leave your mouth." He crossed his arms in front of his chest, challenging me.

Couldn't he wait until I stopped battling with myself for that same reason?

"Archer, the fact that I agreed to this commitment doesn't mean all my doubts are suddenly gone. So don't ask me to put a name to what I'm feeling, because not even I can answer that."

"You are scared."

"What are you talking about?"

"How could I've been so blind? You are scared of these feelings. Every time I try to talk about them, you either run away from the truth or you come up with excuses to avoid the conversation." His voice started increasing volume.

"You think you have me all figured out, don't you? Archer, you don't! Don't act like you perfectly know me, no one does. So just stop it."

"Then let me in! I've been trying to gain your trust ever since we met, and you won't let me. All because of your damn fear." He started counting with his fingers. "Fear of getting your heart broken. Fear of your own deep feelings. And don't forget my favorite one. You are scared of said feelings not being reciprocated. Well, breaking news Grace. They are! And they have a freaking name: Love."

I turned into a mute all of a sudden. He's said it. I can't believe he's said it.

Archer was breathing rapidly, taking short intakes of air. When he calmed down a little bit, he continued:

"You also can't stand the fact that I'm dead. Neither do I! But that is how life goes. You promised to take me as I am, where did that promise go? Answer me."

"I don't want you to change. You are perfect just the way you are. Can you please try to get my situation? One day, you'll be gone and I'll be here without you. I don't let myself fall too hard for you because of that Archer. You are not the problem."

He seemed to be reconsidering his point of view. Shaking his head, he said to me:

"The day you overcome all your fears about us, you'll know where to find me." He returned to his initial position, looking through the window.

"Archer please..."

"Feel free to go. I don't want to waste your time with my 'nonsense'." He didn't even glance at me while saying that.

Shedding furious tears, I left. I want to fight for this to happen, but not now. Not when we both just had our first argument.
I guess this week wasn't going to be that perfect after all.

                               *****

A.N: Told you the relationship was still fresh. Sorry for this by the way, but it's necessary. Talk to you in next chapter!
Love,