Chapter 33: Grand Finale

·Grace's POV·

It's eight in the evening. A couple of hours have passed since Scott's call. I keep telling myself that it was the best thing to do, telling him where to find me. This is our fight, no one should be dragged into this horrendous situation. How did he dared to threaten to hurt Katie and Toli? We were all best friends after all. Never in a million years would I have thought that he'd turn out to be like this. He needs some serious help, not just because of what he has done today, but because of that sick obsession he has with me.

The good thing is that my girls are safe and sound again, although I risked my own safety for it. Would I do it again if I had the chance?

In a heartbeat.

"Why would you do that?" Archer asked me for the thousandth time in four hours.

"I've already told you."

We were currently in the secret spot, just in case Scott decided to show up at any moment (and he will). Archer was leaning against a wall while I was sitting on an old-fashioned armchair, holding my knees to my chest.

"I know, but I still can't get it. They both told you they were going to be just fine. We all want you to be okay and I'm sure as hell that being chased by some dangerous psycho isn't the safest position."

"Wouldn't you have done the same for me?"

"That's a whole 'nother story and you know that."

"See? You would have. So don't try to teach me some life lessons and start to practice what you preach."

"I remind you that I'm not the bad guy here, love. There's a looney heading here at this very moment who wants you to escape with him and never come back. You should focus on that."

"I'm sorry, okay? But what do you think I've been doing for this couple of hours? I'm aware that Scott might arrive at any moment now and I need to end this once and for all."

"And I'll be there with you. You won't be alone."

"I know. It means the world to me." I stood up and crossed the room to hug him. If I could stop the time, I'd stop it right here. Being surrounded by Archer's arms makes me feel protected. However, my eyes began to shed rebel tears against my will. I don't know what Scott is capable of doing anymore, so I must finally come clean.

"Archer." I called him.

"Tell me."

He was still holding me, his chin on top of my head, not being face to face for the revelation. Who cared though? I hate it when people see me cry. Archer isn't the exception.

I sighed. Here it comes.

"I want to tell you something very important that I've been knowing for a while now. I guess now is the perfect time to confess, taking into account that we don't know what will happen in the near future."

"Grace, this isn't a goodbye. You don't have to-"

"But I want to. Let me finish."

"Yes ma'am."

"I love you. You may have changed your perspective after some months. Nonetheless, mine has always been the same. I was scared to admit it and here I am. Saying it out loud at last."

Archer put his hands on my cheeks lovingly and with a glint on his eyes, he said:

"About time."

He pulled me in once again and kissed me. Oh God. How much I've missed this. Our lips moved in perfect synchronization while our hands traveled freely around each other's bodies. This wasn't a goodbye according to Archer, but it sure felt like it. After the heat of the moment ceased, he started to kiss me sweetly, caressing my back.