12 - Party full of horny teenagers, here I come

I walked towards the park, spotting a dark figure standing against the swing. I guessed it was Aiden and moved closer, noticing he was on his phone. ''Hey'' I said, my voice coming out quiet, making him look up to look at me, his grey eyes looking dark, his expression cold. ''Sit'' he said and pointed towards the swing. ''Why a swing?'' I said, chuckling. ''We're at a park at 11 at night, Evelyn. I'm trying to not make us look like stoners'' he said and we both laughed.

When we sat down, his expression changed. It was like he was shutting down, his face forming a pained expression for a brief second before it was replaced by a look of hatred. Who that hatred was directed to, I had no idea.

''There's no need for chit chat we both know why we're here, I think'' he said, his voice serious. I nodded, looking at the ground and playing with the pebbles that were scattered on it.

''I know an apology doesn't fix all the shit I hid from you or fix leaving when I knew you needed me but I swear I had no choice or say in the matter.'' He said, shaking his head, looking away.

''Do you remember George? My mum's ex- husband?'' he asked, referring to Catherine's second marriage. Aiden never called that man his step-dad, his hatred towards him always being obvious. He never told me the reason why he did, nor did he tell anyone. There were rumors that George abused him and his mum but that's all they kept being. Rumors. No one ever confirmed nor denied them.

''Yeah, I remember him'' I responded, turning to look at him. He nodded and dipped his head down. ''When; when my mum got married to him, he seemed like an okay guy. He said he ran his own business and told my mum not to worry about our economics, since he said he would take care of us. It seemed okay, but my mum didn't want to leave her job, she didn't want to have to rely on him entirely, you know. As much as he tried to brainwash her into quitting her job, she still didn't. She was smart.'' he paused and shook his head.

''That's when things went to hell. One morning, George came home from work and told my mum he had spoken to her boss at work. He had the nerve to go find her boss and tell him she wanted to quit her job because she was suffering from a chronic illness. They spent the entire night fighting on it. Of course my mum didn't accept it, the fact that he had taken a choice that affected her life so much and acted without asking her'' he paused again and chuckled bitterly.

''She made the biggest mistake of her life that night. She forgave him, she thought he only wanted the best for her- for us and the worst of all; she stayed with him.'' At this point, his eyes were watery, but I couldn't tell if it was because he was getting teary eyed 'cause he was sad or because of how all the anger he was feeling was showing itself like that. His body was stiff, his leg twitching up and down, his hands looking unstable. It pained me to see him like that, to see how much this affected him the way it did. It was obvious that he was one of the people that were hurt the most out of this situation, yet he chose to become cold, emotionless, hide everything and it's sad how I've only spent a few days talking to him and could see how broken he was through the way he acted.

''Time went by and suddenly he turned aggressive towards us both. He hit my mum, abused her verbally, physically, sexually. When he thought that wasn't enough he turned to me and started hitting me too. That was nothing to what was about to happen though. A year before we left, my mum decided enough was enough and wanted to divorce him. I already knew he was sick but he crossed the line once more that day. He said that he wouldn't give her a divorce unless she payed him back'' he shook his head once again and tugged at his hair.

Did he mean that- Oh, for the love of pizza that's too much.

''He wanted back every penny he had given us, though he said he did it out of love and didn't want anything in exchange when he was giving it. He made sure she would have zero income so that she needed the money he was giving her. That way he made sure the money he would take back would be enough for him to keep his 'business' alive. There was only a small detail. He was a crook. A drug-dealer, who was only looking for his next pray. My mum told him she wasn't giving him a penny and that's when shit got even worse. He came after us. He and his little friends'' his jaw was locked so hard, his usually grey eyes turning so dark it scared me.