𝐈𝐕. 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐈𝐓 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐌𝐘 𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍?

I wrapped the scarf tighter around my neck breathing in the cold air, snow seemed to litter on the pavement from last night. Nick held Don's hand as i unwillingly followed Don, a meter or two behind. "Why don't we visit your Dad, kiddos?" Confusion must of been written on my face, Don was really into being our second Dad, and anything to do with Dad, he avoided.

"Wouldn't you get to work late, Don? Wouldn't you get in trouble from your boss?" I battered my eyes lashes, testing him. Was he jealous of my mother's past with another man?

"No, you little corncobs deserve to see your Dad." It was the first time I considered liking Don. But unfortunately jam frosted donuts wouldn't win me over.

It was then that I could see the big familiar banners of the museum of natural history. It made my stomach curl, I missed dad, mum, Nick and I being a family so much that it hurt. I waited impatiently for the crossing lights to go green. Nicky was happily jumping around, as Dad almost as planned walked down the steps. He must of just finished his shift or something.

"Dad!" I called out almost impatiently and greeted him with a big bear hug. Then Nick joined and held on for a few seconds longer. "Hey what are you guys doing here?!" He said rather surprised, was he tired or did he quit or... Don smiled at Nick and I to my disgust. "Well Freya heard that you got a job here and she has a history assignment due on that Pharaoh guy you have here and I was thinking you could give the kids a tour before school?"

Dad seemed pale for a moment. "Now?" I shook my head, Nick seemed a little disappointed, or jealous that I got to spend a few extra hours with Dad. I would barley see him anyway. I'd be in a tomb with a dead mummy for a few hours. Fun. While dad probably roamed the halls locking up or something. "No after school I think, I could come here right after." Dad smiled a little.

"Well as long as you leave before my shift, I think. It would be okay. Just I'm quite busy at night, being the only night watchmen is rather tricky." By the look on my father's face it was like what he was telling me was an understatement. That there was a hidden meaning lurking behind his words.

"But I can promise you and Nicky a proper tour soon. I've only worked one shift here and it's quite busy. Sorry, guys." Nicky smiled a little more. "Love you, Dad." He said. I gave Dad one last hug and mumbled a quick 'love you.'

"Love you both!" Dad shouted back to nick and I.

I said giving him one last hug and walking off alone towards the direction of my school which was a ten minute walk from here.

««»»

I sat surprisingly bored in history, I loved history and I had sat through biology and math and ugh. I wasn't in the mood, this day was the worst on my timetable and ugh.

"Please open your textbooks to page one hundred and seventy three. As this lesson we are learning about the 'Tablet of Ahkmenrah.'"
Ahkmenrah? Wasn't that the Pharaoh dude I was doing my assignment on?

"Can anyone tell me anything about Pharaoh Ahkmenrah?" Silence flooded the class. Mrs. Jones looked over at me, of course. "Freya? You have been given Pharaoh Ahkmenrah, for your task. Do you know anything so far?"

I gulped, for the past two nights i fell asleep at my desk, at least last night I had common sense to do research in my bed, in case I fell asleep. What did I know? Not much.

"Pharaoh Ahkmenrah was assumed to be eighteen or nineteen when he died. He was the second born son to Merenkahre his father and his mother Shepseheret. His older brother was Kuhmunrah. He ruled Egypt for a year or so before he was murdered by his brother. His brother Kuhmunrah was jealous of—" Something flashed in mind, images, colours and visions. These dreams had got out of hand. I was imagining things now. Wow. How ironic.

"Miss. Daley? Are you alright?!" Mrs. Jones glanced at me from the front of the room her voice panicked, and then I faded into my dream or whatever it was.

In respect to the Pharaoh I bowed, dropped to the cool floor and kissed his staff. "Do you know why I summoned you, guardian of the tablet of Ahkmenrah?"

I nodded on my knees. "I do not know, but I know I must be of service to the kingdom." The ageing Pharaoh looked down softly where he was seated upon his throne and two guardians by his side. He let out a hard cough, it seemed his sickness was getting much worse.

"I knew this day would come Ramla, where my youngest son would be in need a protector and a trusting friend. You have proved yourself worthy, and noble, among the other candidates. Do you accept your duty?" The Pharaoh peered down from his position high up the steps, it was like he was staring into my soul. I finally stood, my head still bowed.

"Yes Pharaoh, I am blessed to be of service, to the great kingdom that I call my home. I vow to protect your son Ahkmenrah." Pharaoh Merenkahre smiled this time, "We have full faith in you, guardian Ramla."

The Pharaoh's gaze grew very gentle as his youngest son approached his father. I could hear the click of his sandals on the stone floor and the swish of his colourful robes.

"Hello father." His voice was full of authority and kindness. He seemed to be aware of who he must become very soon.

I could feel my eyes widen as the youngest son of the Pharaoh's gaze fell onto me. I was startled by his handsomeness, he was fairly tall, I could see his light muscles through his robes, the kindness his green eyes and his curly dark brown hair. He was close to my age maybe a few years older. I had a duty and I must put aside any feelings. I was to not get attached.

"I am Ahkmenrah. The youngest son of the great Merenkahre and Shepseheret rulers of Egypt and who are you?"

I stood and then turned my body towards the soon-to-be Pharaoh and bowed onto my knees. "I am Ramla, your protector and the guardian of the tablet of Ahkmenrah, that is to be soon blessed upon you." His green eyes sparkled like the stars that blessed the night.

"Shall you accompany myself for a walk in the gardens?" I turned towards the Pharaoh who nodded in approval. I trailed behind, following the procedures as I was trained.

Ahkmenrah smiled softly and stared into my eyes as we walked down the halls. I couldn't force myself to look away."I only have one rule, I shall treat you as my equal and my friend."

"What ever makes you happiest, as I am to serve you." Ahkmenrah smiled.

When I woke up I found myself blinking in the nurses office and the strong smell of antiseptic, I was left with one thought. As the nurses torch flashed in eyes, making me close them shut instantly.

"Are you alright Freya? You have seemed to take a hard fall to the ground."

If my imagination was going wild, why did everything feel so real? Maybe I was getting into things too far. Like it wasn't something I came up with? Was it truely just my imagination?

My voice sounded croaky. "I feel better already. Don't call my mother. I just don't think I haven't drank enough water today or eaten anything. That's why I fainted."

EDITED: 24th of December 2019