𝐕. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐔𝐒𝐄𝐔𝐌

My feet taped impatiently on the front steps of the museum. I breathed into my cold hands desperately trying to warm them up. I sighed in annoyance, Dad wasn't here, yet. I opened my bag and found a apple to munch on while I waited for Dad.

I hummed a rather odd tune I had never even heard it before and yet I seemed to know it off by heart, what even was it? I clasped my hand over my mouth. Something was truely worrying was going with me. I was having odd flashes and dreams and knowing things without even searching them up, humming tunes that seemed to be ancient Egyptian...

The worst thing was that everything felt so familiar. It felt real, it felt like a memory. I tried to push my thoughts aside, for now.

"Hey Fey!" Dad called out, a smile on his face. He climbed the stars quickly, it shocked me that he could walk so fast with a sports duffle bag.

It took us a while, down the corridor and eventually we needed up in the Egyptian wing.  "Hey, Dad. You go do your work, I'll just be in the Pharaoh's tomb."

"Isn't that a little creepy being alone in there?" He said, in a little bit of a teasing tone.

"Hmm, I do suppose it is a little bit. But he can't hurt me if he's deceased. And even if he was to come to life he was a good ruler, kind and fair apparently according to history books."

I sat on the stone floor, opening my notes. It was a little creepy being alone with a three thousand year old mummy corpse and I filed open my history book. "Aha!" I exclaim as I finally find the lose leaf sheet that entails the tasks I was to complete.

1. Compete a timeline of important events in the 'persons' life.

2. Why were the 'person' important in history.

3. Name three interesting facts on this 'person'.

4. A brief summary on the 'person,' personality, parents, siblings, children, romantic interests etc.

5. Name two things that you have learnt from this person.

6. An extension is to make a family tree. Which is worth a bonus mark.

It was a hearty assignment. I could give it that. We had been given quite a while to do the work, two weeks.

Even though I had spent so much time on this assignment, nothing felt exactly right. Moments seem to pass, I spent my time running my hands over the tomb walls, being intimidated by the twenty feet jackal statues that seemed to look much like the Egyptian god Anubis, I spent time starring at the pharaoh's tablet. I couldn't bring myself to look at the Pharaoh's sarcophagus. Of course he was protected by glass and stone so no one could be foolish enough to pry.

My MP3 player was blasting Bohemian Rhapsody through the headphones, my mother loved Queen. We had shared my MP3 Player for quite a while but she got her own because I'd use it so much. I tapped my pencil to the rhythm on my book, and sat down against the wall directly under the tablet.

I barely noticed the time, I slowly dozed off. Then I was stirred unexpectedly by a blinding light that awoke me. "What the fudge is that?!"

The tablet of Ahkmenrah glowed a bright, blinding yellow on the wall. I was sure I was dreaming. Then seconds later I could hear a muffling cry, it was coming from the Pharaoh's sarcophagus. Before I even knew it I was walking towards the golden case and reaching to remove it.

How was this possible? But the past week anything had been possible.

The cries grew louder, I managed to whisper trying to hide my fear. "It will be alright. I'll try and get you out. Your deafening my ear drums your majesty." Was that the correct way to address a Pharaoh? His cries grew softer, at least he stoped rattling the sarcophagus.

I pushed and pulled for what seemed like forever, "Why won't this god-damn thing open!?" I was trying my best.

"My dear child! What are you doing in there?!" A wise voice called out. I turned my head to reveal Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th president of this country, America. His face was laced with a frown and he seemed mad. He managed to hide it well though.

Oh? What? Wait. What is going on here? Let's just to get the facts right, in case I didn't notice but... an ancient Pharaoh suddenly screaming. and rattling his sarcophagus and a president who should be dead calling out to me.

OR MAYBE THIS WAS A PRANK AND THEY WERE LOOK ALIKES AND DRESSED UP. My gut was telling me that this was very real. Ugh.

I must be asleep. I pinched myself. Nope I am not asleep.

"I'm doing my assignment sir." I felt like mum had caught me having a midnight snack or that time I ate all her favourite chocolate coated biscuits...

"Does that include opening the Pharaoh's sarcophagus?"

"No. But—"

"Not 'but's' dear. The night guards do not let him out. That means you will not either. You must understand he isn't kind to the others."

"But I don't understand. He was a kind and fair ruler. He was known for his fairness. He didn't rule for long... Why would they not let him out?" Just to let you know I have odd dreams about the Pharaoh and a girl who looks like me.

"I'm sorry young one, I know you mean well. I do not have all the answers. But we must follow the night guards of the past orders."

"Okay." I drawled out. Gathering my books and stuffing them into my bag. The president gave a kind smile. "You must be Freya, Larry's daughter. He spoke great words of you."

"Thank you, Mr. President." I said, I did feel bad about leaving the Pharaoh. He wasn't like that. He wouldn't be cruel. Yes, he made choices, but only for the good of the kingdom... I felt myself pale.

"Just Teddy, please." He dusted imaginary dust of his shoulder, placed his gun on his right shoulder, and make a shift move with his glove to follow him. "Okay."

"It's best you do not look at them." He said pointing up to the 20ft statues as we walked past. I flinched at the Pharaoh's scream. "I'm sorry, Pharaoh Ahkmenrah." I whispered. Teddy's eyes flashed to my own, he frowned a little as if he was trying to understand my choice of words.

"Can I ask a question?" I asked. "Just one, dear child." I nodded, mumbling a yeah. I debated asking, but done it anyway. "Not to be rude, but how are you alive?" The president, Teddy smiled. "It's the tablet of Ahkmenrah that brings us all to life."

"Every night?" I questioned, tilting my head to the side. "Every night, since it came here. Since the Nile Expedition in 1952."

Teddy looked at me and gave me an odd look for some reason. I didn't know why. "I'll escort you to the main entrance. Your father must be busy."

EDITED: 24th of December 2019