𝐗𝐗𝐈. 𝐒𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓

"WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU MEAN BY AHK IS AT THE SMITHSONIAN?!" I shouted the next day, throwing my duffle bag over the couch with tears in my eyes. I didn't understand how this could happen. How could I have been oblivious to his lies?

"Is there something you can do?" Nick asked quickly. Even with blurry and cloudy vision I could see that Dad lowered his eyes gently, and what pained me the most, that it was almost in regret. It was about time my father learned that Nick and I needed him and they my friends need him too.

"I wish there was, I've tried everything. I've talked to McPhee, I called the board but they shipped them out this morning."

Moments passed of silence and I looked back at the food in Nick's hands. "ANYWAY WHAT IS ALL THAT FOOD FOR?!" I asked, still un-calm, each word I spoke was like a rambling storm. My fingers hovered over the Chinese take away bag.

"Yeah um... about that...." Dad calls from the pantry receiving the plates as Nick takes out the takeaway food. "Ed from work is gonna come by. I thought I told the two of you. We have to go over a few work things." I roll my puffy red eyes and snort rather loudly.

I lean against the counter top, folding my arms as Nick speaks for the both of us. "So you're working tonight."

"I used to work every night, remember?" Dad asks the two of us, suddenly serious.

I let out a croaky laugh. "Well that was when you had the coolest job in the world!" Nick exclaims handing me the noodle boxes.

"Yes..." I mumble sarcastically. "And he just ditches them without warning... Don't you understand if you never left this wouldn't have never happened!" Tears formed in my eyes again and Nick gave me a saddened glance. I had lost Ahkmenrah. I had lost more than just myself, it felt like I had lost my soul. Nothing else mattered to me anymore, I just wanted Ahkmenrah safe. I had never truely missed him so much. Every moment I had with him never seemed so precious and had never seemed so long ago.

"Yeah, well cool doesn't exactly pay for your guitar god six or your obsession with history."

The phone rings cutting off what I was going to say. I sigh walking over to the massive bookshelf had has, pulling a book at random until Dad answers the phone, letting it go on loud speaker. "Hello?!" Dad calls out.

"G-Gigantor! It's me Jedediah!" Jed cries in desperation gaining my attention as the book in my grasp falls onto the floorboards with a thud.

"No." I whisper, unable to move. I didn't exactly know what was happening, but whatever this was, it wasn't good. A vivid image of Ahkmenrah on the throne room floor dying and with Kahmunrah leaning over with a wicked smile that made my blood curdle.

"Jed?!" Dad walked over to the phone. "Jed what are you — how did you dial the phone?" Dad asks, clearly confused.

"Long story. That bald headed monkey stole the tablet and now we're in a ball of hurt boy." Jed replies through the other end of the phone. I had known Jed and everyone for three years and sometime I still didn't understand the cowboy language.

"What is going on?!" Dad asks. A deep unsettling panic set in the pit of my stomach. "Kahmunrah." I whisper, Nick looks over at me with equally worried eyes.

"Kahmunrah," Dad repeats utterly still confused. He had no idea what was going on.

"Kahmunrah, Ahkmenrah's big brother. He's here and he's not a friendly. I repeat not a friendly." Something flashes in Dad's eyes, it was like he was remembering something. I took this information quicker than anyone else. I was already zooming around the house gathering a few texts books on ancient Egypt pulling open the pages. Kahmunrah the bloody thirsty.

I could hear cries in the background, Ahkmenrah's and Kahmunrah's voice echoing in my ears. They were all fighting for the tablet.

"Jed!" Dad calls again. "Are you okay?! Hey Jed?!" Then the line went dead, leaving a deadly silence in the room.

"What was that about?" Nick asks me, his eyes trailing from myself to our father.

"They need our help." I choke out, my voice cracking on each word, but no one heard me. "They need us!" I whisper, my voice growing braver as I glance pleadingly at Dad. I knew it in my gut, but I knew it in my heart.

"I don't know but I am going find out." Dad replies simply. "Get your stuff, you two. I am dropping you off at your mum's." My mouth felt like it had dropped to the floor. "No way. You need me. I know more about history than you would. I know a lot more about Ahkmenrah and his family than any history book."

"Now is that so Freya? You know that I cannot put you in any danger." I sigh, rubbing my fingertips omg my forehead. I could protect Ahkmenrah, I had learnt a lot from Ramla and Ahk had taught me a bit. I had spent hours at the gym, going to Karate twice a week. I ran through Central Park every day. I knew what I was up against.

"Dad please. This is Ahkmenrah, I have to help him. Please." I plea, Dad swallows not meeting my puppy dog eyes.

"Please?" I repeat again, growing desperate. Nick grumbles frustrated, crossing his arms over his chest, something I hadn't seen in three years.

Dad sighs defeated, "Fine, but if there is any sign of danger I want you to leave." I smiled ruefully, skipping a little in my step, receiving my bags from the couch and swinging it over my shoulder then quickly stuffing my history books in my back pack.

« • »

I was tired but I trudged onwards after Dad. Nothing was stopping me now. "Okay Buddy, McPhee said the federal archives are in the Smithsonian. Where exactly am I going?" Nick was totally the guy in the chair. It made me smile even in one of the most stressful situations of my life. I followed pulling out my text book, until I saw a passage on the page. No one knows why Kahmunrah killed his brother, many from that time period assume it was from jealousy and revenge.

With every aching second I longed to know that Ahkmenrah was okay. I was worrying frantically, I took a deep breath and I wasn't alarmed when white dots settled over my vision. Alike every time before this one, a bright white light settled over my eyes and I fell into the past.

Into my past with Ahkmenrah.

EDITED: 24th of December 2019