Truth

Leilah's POV

Right after the chat, I was stunned for a while when I heard some crackling sounds from the living room. Could it be Tira? But why didn't I hear any salaam or door opening before this?

I started to feel that something was not right and got up to see who was actually there. Curiously, I walked to the living room, still trying not to produce any sounds and hid behind a wall. I really pray that it's not what I think it is. After peeking once, I quickly hid again behind the wall and my heart started to beat faster than ever.

It was NOT Tira, nor anyone else I'm familiar with.

Immediately, I tiptoed back to my room and locked the door. Oh my Allah, who in the world was that? I felt like I was about to cry and even started to get panic attack. What I saw back then was the back of a guy in a hoodie going through all my things in the living room. I noticed that there were two of them and all the furniture was messed up like hell. Thank God they didn't see me but still, the worst part is that I was completely alone in this apartment house with robbers inside. It was weekday so of course, people were working but my class was canceled for this morning. I tried my hardest to calm down and instantly called the police. That was the only thing I could think of and I really didn't know what to do at all after that. I prayed so many times that Allah would protect me from all the harm. I then called my brother, Fateh, with tears rolling down my cheeks. He got a little bit panicked too and asked me to stay calm and do not open the door to anyone at all until I hear his voice.

Just a few moments after that, I heard the doorknob being twisted. My heart almost jumped out when the door shook after being whacked so hard. I prayed and prayed to Allah that those guys would leave my house or the cops would come here as soon as possible. Remembering what my tutor once told me, I started reciting Ayatul Kursi silently over and over again to ask for protection during critical times like this. When the door was banged again, I grabbed my Quran and held it tightly against my chest while sitting on the bed, my mouth still reciting the holy verse continuously. Ya Al-Qawiy(The Almighty), please protect this weak and helpless servant of yours from any harm.

Seconds later, the banging stopped and I heard some footsteps outside the room before the sounds slowly faded away. I laid my back against the headboard of my bed, still hugging my Quran. I couldn't quite relax yet because the rescue still hadn't come, but I really felt tired and nausea as hell. It didn't take long before I ended up dozing off after the most panicking moment in my life.

I woke up hearing some loud knocks from the door. My whole body froze there. It could still be the robbers and I wouldn't dare to open the door for anyone except my brother.

"Leilah! Open the door! It's me, Fateh."

It was indeed my brother's voice. I slowly walked towards the door and opened it with bismillah. I saw my brother's face looking at me while sighing in great relief.

"Thank God, you're okay. The cops are here alrea—"

I couldn't control myself anymore when I hugged him and cried my eyeballs out on his chest. O Allah, thank you... Thank you so much...

"You're safe now, kid. Don't worry, I got you." He patted my back gently to comfort me but I still couldn't stop crying. It felt good after all to let it all out. We stayed like that for a few minutes before I had to meet the police officers to report the whole incident.

Practically, the news had spread to everyone who knew me and they were all worried sick. Not long after the interrogation I had with the police officers, my family and even Tira came.

Tira also had to be interrogated when she first came here because this was her house too. The thieves had stolen our LCD TV, camera and more electronic gadgets in the house. I felt so bad for the loss but Alhamdulillah, my life was still safe. I didn't know why they stopped trying to open the door since they succeeded breaking into the house through the main door while it was locked. They could've done the same and got into my room anyway. But indeed, Allah is the Almighty Protector. There's no logic in the world that can explain His power entirely.