Gift Chapter

For @daienasali

Scene 1# Leilah's POV

This was the first time ever Jungkook and I would pray together as a religiously married couple. I had goosebumps all over my skin just thinking about standing behind him. Though, I had to keep reminding myself that he's my husband now, not a K-Pop idol that I was once obsessed with. There's a wide difference between those two. One with the presence of love and responsibility while the other only welcomed negativity.

While waiting for my husband to take ablutions in the toilet, I set up our praying mattresses and put on my prayer garment. I sat on the bed and waited. A few moments later, Jungkook came out of the toilet with droplets of water dripping on his skin. I thought he was going to get his kufi or something but he just stood there, eyes glued on me. Feeling embarrassed, I cleared my throat and asked him, "What? Is there something wrong?"

As if he was woken up to realization, his eyes flickered and he shook his head sheepishly. "Sorry, I... I need time to get used to your face. I just don't know when I can look at you normally and not... you know, being stoned," he said jokingly.

"Ok, whatever you say..." I chuckled nervously while reaching for his kufi to hand it to him. Though I was trying so hard not to get super blushed and forget that we were supposed to perform our Maghrib prayer together. "Here, careful, don't touch my hand," I said.

"Oh? Why? But we're married already."

"Jungkook oppa, we're about to pray and our wudu will automatically be invalidated if we touch. That's why," I explained patiently to him.

He sighed in relief. "Thank God. I thought I still can't touch you." I just smiled at his innocent remark. "But that means I can touch you however I want after the prayer, right?"

My smile died. Man, I just called him innocent and look what he'd said. I shook my head. "Astaghfirullahal'azim... Focus, oppa. Focus."

"Oh! Okay, okay. My bad. Sorry." He quickly put on the kufi and stood in his position on the praying mattress. I followed behind him.

He suddenly turned around towards me. "Before I forgot, thank you. For setting all this." He smiled softly at me.

I mirrored his smile. "Don't worry. It's my job now. You know how to be an Imam, right?"

He nodded. "Yeah, I've learned it before."

"Alhamdulillah... Good." I smiled whilst showing a thumbs-up, causing a huge grin on his face.

Shortly after that, Jungkook began reciting the Iqamah with his beautiful and soothing voice. He must have practiced a lot to sound this good in his pronunciations. I couldn't help but felt very proud of the man he had become. Tears began welling in my eyes as I raised my hands to my ears and said Allahuakbar after he did so. I had not felt this kind of contentment during a prayer for a long time. I was showered with immense gratitude towards Allah for all the blessings and gifts He had granted me in this short period of time. I felt so light yet full. It's like my soul was now complete.

"Assalamu'alaykum warahmatullah... Assalamu'alaykum warahmatullah..." Jungkook's voice echoed at the end of the salah. We both raised our hands in prayer as he led the recitations after salah.

When he finished reciting, I wiped my face and sat still for a while. Strangely enough, I was unable to look up. That was when the tears suddenly ran down my cheeks like a river.

"Hey, hey, are you okay?" Jungkook was clearly shocked by my reaction as he turned around. Worried, he quickly reached over to give his comfort.

I did not reply and just let the tears of joy flow out of me. My head was still looking down.