PLANS

CHAPTER 48

Plans

"Wow."

Hound grinned at the look of amazement that crossed Mark's features that night. They had gone a good distance and to a large hilltop, which was mostly hidden. He was thankful that Lennox had told him of this spot, as it truly was a wonderful place for it. He had Mark held carefully on his head, the boy's legs dangling just short enough that he could easily see himself. It was a little dangerous, but putting Mark at his full height gave the boy the best seat in the house as meteors streaked through the sky. And for Mark, it was definitely a breathtaking sight as well, even if he was scared that at any moment he could fall the entire length of his foster father to the ground. "Dad can you believe this?" Mark asked, his voice somewhat hushed. "It's amazing."

"Indeed, it is a beautiful sight. Especially from this high." Hound's optics traveled up to stare at his foster son. "I should probably let you down sometime, though. If you fall, you'll give me the spark attack of my life." He explained rather honestly. "I'll try and wait until the shower starts to die down at least, though. I want you to experience as much as you can."

Mark nodded his head, though he mostly kept his eyes up at the sky. Hound smiled, taking in a deep breath. He had thought before about all the firsts he missed with this one. His first steps, his first words, his first day of school, and sometimes it did bug him. But even with a teenager there were many first yet to come, and this was the first of them. "Dad," Hound shook himself out of his thoughts. "This is really cool of you to do this, you know you didn't have to."

Hound shrugged a little, and smiled. "Kiddo, I had the night off," Hound told him rather politely. "I missed many of your firsts, though I am glad your father got to share them with you. But I also want to create some "firsts" of my own," Mark smiled a little at that. "I thought this was a nice start. Given that meteor showers hae always been a breathtaking sight to me."

Mark nodded again, too focused on the sight to do much else. They sat in silence again for several minutes before the brunt of the shower slowly began to die down. Finally, Hound deposited him onto his shoulder, despite the groaning from the boy. "Hey, you've still got a nice view," Hound offered, motioning to the sky. "And besides, it's growing late. We'll need to head back home soon."

Mark nodded his head and sighed, leaning into the crook of the mech's neck. "I wish we could just be like this forever," Hound raised an optic ridge in confusion. "Just the two of us, doing whatever we want to. Not having to go back to this war and all," Hound frowned, knowing he wished for the same thing. "I know it's a dumb wish, because it's your job. And you guys are saving the world and all of that," He admitted. "Just thinking out loud, I guess."

Hound shook his head, and gently patted Mark on the head. "Not dumb at all, I have the same wish some days," Hound replied. "I look at what some of the humans have with their children with envy." He explained. "I know that you are happy with me and all. But I know that we both wish we could have a more "normal" lifestyle," He then added. "Growing up on a military base cannot be much fun."

"Are you kidding me?" Hound stared at Mark in surprise. "It's a blast! That's not what I meant at all, big guy." He tried to assure him rather politely. "I meant because I wish you had less stress. And besides, we'd get more time to do this stuff." Hound nodded, understanding his meaning now. "Dad?" Hound looked back at him. "I've been thinking..."

"About what?" Hound questioned. "Has it hurt?"

Mark laughed, and tugged a wire in response. "No, you jerk," He replied, his smile slowly fading. "I was wondering... I haven't... I mean, I haven't gotten the chance to visit my dad yet." He paused a moment, and Hound raised an optic ridge. "I mean his grave, not the super-crazy middle-of-the-night visit. But you know, I just... he can't be getting too many visitors."