Chapter Thirteen

- Tuesday, November 4 -

Five days.

Five days until Yara's new line would come out. Five days until the Davis family would once again be the top news story in everyone's feed. Five days until 'The Multiple' would officially strike down on Mayrose.

It was now Tuesday, and Mayrose Academy was now somewhat back on its regularly scheduled programming. Everyone was still extremely on edge, but they were more discreet about it, since no one wanted the same fate as Caleb- or Stacy. But overall, everyone was finally relaxing, and settling down.

Well, not everyone.

That morning, while waiting in Literature Class for Mr.Benson, Spencer had shown Blake and Lena the video he'd recorded yesterday at Sierra Davis' design studio. And he was mainly directing them to the part when Sierra's assistant, Teresa, had changed the date of the event.

"Whoa," Blake said, the phone clearly shaking in his hands. "This is bad. Like majorly bad. We've only got five days, and we've barely made headway on the case. We're seriously running out of time."

"Maybe we should just drop it.," Lena shrugged, not having seen the video yet, but reacting solely because of Blake's panicked expression. "Like you said, we've barely made any progress and it doesn't look like we'll make any by the time Sunday comes."

Spencer shook his head. "We can't. There's too much on the line now. Plus there's no way Mayor Henry will let us back out."

"Speaking of the Davis family, where is Miss Bossy Boots anyway?," Lena asked turning up her nose.

"She had to stay at the studio with her mom, to work out the details for her gala on Sunday."

Lena scoffed, picking at her nails, which had excessive amounts of dirt in them. "Nice to know that when the snippy, bratty cat's away, she'll have the mice do her dirty work for her."

Spencer shrugged, his words stammering. "I-I wouldn't say she's having us do her dirty work-"

"Well I would!," Lena snapped, hysteria creeping into her voice. "Out of the all the so called 'progress' we've made, what has the prissy pink poodle done? Sit on the sidelines for us to fetch the bone for her! Yeah, way to help your 'best friend', princess."

"O-okay, so maybe Yara hasn't been all that helpful," Spencer replied trying to defend Yara's actions. He wasn't doing that good of a job. "But at least she's trying. If not for her, we wouldn't have gotten into Breed Technology to check the USB."

"Yeah, and if she hadn't had an irresponsible, underaged party, we wouldn't be here in the first place!" Lena's voice was raising, but she immediately brought it down once people gave her weird glances and turned back around giggling. Lena then sank farther into her seat, her black hood enveloping her face. That GIF of her was still up and going strong.

"Lena's right," Blake continued, not wanting to dig deeper into the hole of awkwardness that was already forming. "How many people do you know that when their best friend dies, they still have a massive event?"

Spencer squinted his eyes and slanted his lips. "Maybe she's looking for a distraction."

Blake cocked his head and darted his eyes, looking stony. "Come on Spence. You're giving her too much credit. Yara hasn't done anything more than complain and boss us around. Not too mention there's more evidence that she's apart of 'The Multiple' than she is against it! If anything, she's our main suspect."

Spencer didn't comment back. He simply just stayed silent for multiple minutes. Could Yara be the main suspect? She was the one who enlisted them to help with the case. Well, no actually, Spencer thought, going back to day one. Her father had asked to see them. She had just followed the instructions. But then, why would she go against her family in the first place?