2 ~ Feisty

"Ashton, get up!" Mom calls up the stairs, the sound of boxes falling follows her voice.

I roll out of bed with a sigh, dreading the thought of going to school. I've been awake since five, I just don't want to do this. Being the new kid at any age is miserable but starting over in your junior year is a whole new level of pain.

After rinsing off I stare in the mirror, dead, gray eyes staring back at me. I can't remember the last time I felt genuinely happy.

"Here's to a new life." I mutter sarcastically, shoving my head through a pale green shirt.

I find mom in the kitchen, warming up a frozen breakfast burrito for me. "That's what you're wearing?"

She's disappointed but I shrug, "It's not like I really care about what people think."

That's a lie but she doesn't know that, if anything I care too much. The need to please people always fighting to be heard.

Before she can change the subject dad comes in with Ronnie in his arms, still in pajamas. It's almost time to go, the last thing I need is to be late. "She's running a major fever."

Mom frowns, trying to maneuver through boxes to find the medicine. Moving around her I dig it out, pouring Ronnie some and offering it to her. "That's fine, I'll tell the office once mom drops me off."

My parents share a look that I know all too well. Taking a bite out of my breakfast I prepare for the worst. I'll have to walk to school or take a cab. It's fine, I understand it's an inconvenience to haul me around.

"Ashton, your dad and I were talking." She starts.

Closing my eyes, I prepare for the news.

"We were thinking it's best if you have your own way to travel, especially with football." Dad continues.

Opening my eyes, I stare at them, not believing a word that they're saying. "But I'm not allowed to drive." I haven't been able to for almost a year. I got my license just for it to be taken away.

"Things are different here, so we decided to try again." Dad says, pulling a key ring from his pocket.

I laugh in disbelief.

"There are rules attached." Mom tries to sound tough, but I know she's excited to see me smile. "It's for school and football only unless you ask for permission. Your grades must be good, and you can't miss a second of class."

"Yeah, I know, trust me. Thank you guys so much." I hug them both.

They hug me back after a second of shock, "Please be safe, Son, we love you."

Bending over I kiss Ronnie's forehead before heading for the door. "Love you too."

Outside I find an older truck parked in the driveway. It's rough but in a way it's just like me– used and needing some attention.

My day just got a whole lot better.

*****

My day hasn't gotten any better.

Some asshole cut me off on the road, almost killing me in the process. A cop pulled me over, let me go with a warning, and now I'm stuck in the school's main office. I've been waiting for twenty minutes.

The receptionist, a different one from Friday, stares down her nose at me every few seconds. The constant clicking of her keyboard setting me on the edge. Tap, tap, pause, repeat.

I'm going to lose my shit. Clearing my throat, I stand up, the sooner I can get out of here the better. "Excuse me, my mom wanted me to pick up some extra paperwork for my little sister, Veronica Valdez."