4 1 ~ Alabama

"McClain, a word!"

I stop, turning around to find Coach Edwards walking my way, his whistle flopping against his chest. What have I done now? School hasn't even started yet.

"Sir?"

"In my office, if you will." He says, motioning towards his door down the hall.

Nodding swiftly, I follow. Resting my palms against the arm rests as I sit to hide the sweat forming, I wait.

"Oklahoma was impressive." He starts and I instantly tense up. He's upset I haven't accepted it.

"I'm sorry for not taking it, it just didn't seem right. I know it's a big deal and everything but–"

He holds up a hand, silencing me. "Son, it's impressive but I have something better."

Scrunching my brows, I try to figure out who's better than Oklahoma.

"The University of Alabama." He says, leaning back in his chair.

I shrug, trying to act like they aren't the best of the best. "What about them?"

"They want you, kid." He explains, wearing a smile I've never seen before.

"Bullshit." I mutter before remembering where I am. "Excuse me, but that's impossible. I'm not even that good."

I'm trash compared to some people. I'm impressive on a small scale but in the grand scheme of things, I'm nothing.

I couldn't even be a zit on Tua Tagovailoa's ass.

Coach chuckles, "You have talent kid and the sooner you realize it, the better you'll be."

"Coach, I'm not meant to make that level." I explain, hating the words as they leave my mouth. I want that, so badly, but playing at an SEC school seems impossible.

Community college is more fitting. That way, if I mess up it's not as expensive.

"McClain, I'm only going to say this once. I've been a coach for a long time, I've dealt with numerous sports and several kids with raw talent." He snaps, age showing on his face.

"About twenty years ago, at a different school, there was this baseball player. He lived on the west side of town, widowed mom, people looking to get him involved in trouble he had worked so hard to stay out of." He tells the story with a sadness in his eyes. "He had offers to go anywhere for college and he was going to decline."

"Why?" I ask, trying to imagine that many options.

"He didn't think he deserved it. He accepted that he would stay in that hell hole of a place, graduate high school with a poor possibility of a community college degree. Sound familiar?" He questions knowingly.

I focus on my hands, hating that he's doing this.

"I convinced that kid to take a chance and he did. I got to watch him go to college, kick ass, make a name for himself so well known that he got drafted in the first round. He went pro, married the love of his life and built a family. None of that would've happened if he hadn't taken that risk. And I'll be damned if I sit back and watch someone with as much potential as you follow that darker path." He slaps his desk, grabbing my attention.

Looking at him, I'm expecting him to be angry, but he seems upset. Almost as if he's imaging what I'll lose. 

"You've turned yourself around kid. You've got good grades, stayed out of trouble, found yourself a decent crowd to run with and a girl who's probably going to keep you on a good path whether you like it or not. Now think carefully before I go get that girl to knock some common sense into you."