24 ~ Friends

"Mom, stop trying to fix my hair!"

She chases after me, determined to fix the mess of black hair I prefer to keep wild. Scarlett likes it that way, at least, I think so.

I'm about to make it downstairs when dad steps I front of me, his arms open wide. "Got him, Liz, hurry."

Letting out a huff, I lean over so mom can reach my hair. In a second I could break free, but I don't. I feel like a kid again, they used to use this tactic on me all the time because I hated my hair being touched.

Catching mom's eye as she finishes, she smiles, knowing exactly what I'm thinking about.

"I love you guys." I offer honestly, both parents seem surprised and I take that moment as my escape.

*****

Christmas parties mean one thing, stiff adults all trying to compete with one another. It's obnoxious to say the least.

"Hey, Els." I offer, sipping a glass of water.

"Ashton, I'm happy you could come." She offers somewhat distracted.

"Are you okay?" I ask, slightly worried.

""Yeah, I just can't find my parents. I have to say hello to all of my family, and I hate doing it alone. Normally I have Sage with me, but I want to get this over with and he's not here yet." She admits.

I feel that, offering my arm, I give my best smile. "Ella, you just found yourself a fill in for the moment."

Silently, she loops her arm through mine, and we walk around. The first few cousins only take seconds but based off the groan she lets out as an older, plump, woman approach's us, this next conversation won't be as pleasant. "Ella, darling."

She grimaces, "Hi, Aunt Joan, how are you?"

"A lot better now that I know you're over that Rhodes boy." Her Aunt snips. "How many years did he lead you on for?"

While Ella's face manages to stay pretty neutral, her nails dig into my arm. Shit's about to get real and I don't think Joan's ready for this. "Sage is still who I'm talking to, this is-"

"Your fling." Her Aunt finishes for her and even I'm upset. Ella is the last person to ever act like that.

"No, actually, I'm Sage's best friend." I offer bluntly, "And Ella's frien. She is capable of being friends with the opposite sex without sleeping with them, surely you know that's possible. Or not."

Her aunt turns beat red as I turn us around, "Enjoy the party!" Ella offers over her shoulder. 

With her nails still digging into my arm, I pull us into a hallway. "You okay?"

Slowly, she releases my arm. "Yeah, just a little worked up."

Letting her calm down, guilt builds in me. "I'm so sorry for that day I hounded you with questions."

Being on the other side, I can see how annoying it can be. "Ash, you were just trying to figure things out. Was it annoying? Yes, but you meant well."

I blink at her, "Did you just call me annoying?"

She shrugs, "Someone should give you a reality check."

We start laughing, forgetting about the fact we're at a party until someone clears their throat. "Please don't tell me you're laughing at me."

We turn around, Ella going to hug Sage and I take that as my cue to leave.

I'm beginning to think Scarlett isn't here, I've walked the whole main part of the house and haven't seen her. Just when I'm about to check outside, I find her standing on the outskirts of the room.