28 ~ Love

I check my phone for the millionth time today.

Still no text from Scarlett, it's almost one and she's been radio silent. We text each other every day. It feels strange.

At first, I tried to convince myself I was just being paranoid. I mean Scarlett doesn't have to text me. I want her to, but she doesn't have to. That's a relationship thing. Sage hasn't texted me either and that's how I know something's off. He always sends me at least ten stupid memes before noon. Always.

Except for yesterday and today.

Christmas Eve it was the George Lopez intro then the Nanny opening. I felt like I was watching teen nick at night all over again. Then Christmas was a grinch parody that should be banned from the internet.

In my restlessness, I walk the house, trying not to go insane as I stare at the last few messages I sent her.

Ash
Good morning Sweetheart
Someone's sleeping late
You okay?

Still no reply. I reread that last message she sent me yesterday.

Sweetheart
Don't worry about me Ash. I'm proud of you :)

It's kinda hard for me to not worry. She was so out of it yesterday, missing all of her usual sass. I haven't seen her frown that much since the first week I met her.

My phone digs and I check it so fast I almost drop it, I let out a frustrated groan. It's only Gabe.

Gabe
How're things going?

I pinch my brow, what the hell is he talking about?

Ash
What do you mean? I'm at home.

It's five minutes before I get another message.

Gabe
You aren't with Scarlett today?

I consider throwing my phone at the wall, the last thing I want to do is hear him talk about Scarlett. My ego can't handle any negative comments right now.

Ash
No, I'm not with her, she hasn't answered me all day. Why?

Despite my sour mood, he might know what's up. He typically tends to.

Gabe
You know what today is, right?

I roll my eyes, typing out a snarky reply and instantly regretting it.

Ash
It's the 27th you idiot. What's with the stupid questions?
Sorry I'm just grumpy.

I need to calm down, he's just being nice. There's another gap before he replies. I contemplate not even looking at it, but this conversation is keeping me from checking Scarlett's messages.

Gabe
Never mind... Are you still planning on going to my party?

I let out a breath.

Ash
I think Scarlett said she was going so yeah.

Gabe
Okay lover boy, I expect to see a New Year's kiss.