Epilogue ~ Ashlett

"It's been a while since I last visited."

Taking a seat on the damp grass, I make myself comfortable.

"I know they talked to you not too long ago with it being the anniversary and everything, but I wanted to pay my respects before I leave town."

It never gets easier talking to a tombstone, but I find it peaceful. It's a place to talk without the worry of being judged. After all, a grave can't talk back.

"I leave for school tomorrow. Scarlett and I, we're spending all day together and then tonight I have reserved for Sage and the twins. It's gonna be weird not being around them all the time but I think I'll manage."

Somehow.

"It's going to suck, especially not seeing Scarlett whenever I want, but you guys made it work. And technology is so much better these days, I can see her face whenever I want. I'm hoping she handles it well, because we all know how much she loves to run from things."

She'd place gold in the Olympics.

"I hope she doesn't run from me." I admit, "I've been thinking about it often and I think she'll try, but I have a plan."

A plan she'll either love or punch me for.

*****

I hate the fact I woke up today. Part of me wanted to stay up all night but it doesn't matter. I'm up way before I need to be and it's miserable.

I know for a fact I'm the only person awake in the Rhodes house. Scarlett's snores fill the room, distracting me from my thoughts.

What happens after today? Will my relationship with my family and friends change so soon after getting good? It's only been 14 months since I moved here and I'm already leaving. Is that enough time to create something that will last?

I could come home for a weekend and my parents might not be as comfortable with me as we are now. Ronnie could end up no longer loving me as much because she won't see me every day. Sage could find a new person to harass with memes. The twins might stop wanting to record me doing dumb shit just for the thumbnail because I'm what they call a chick magnet. Saffron might decide she doesn't like me.

Scarlett might find someone else. She'll be alone and even if it isn't in high school. Vanderbilt is full of smart people and she's a smart girl. God knows she's perfect. Beyond pretty enough to get a boyfriend no matter where she is.

Maybe one day she'll need someone to help her and I won't be around to do it and someone else will swoop in and save the day. Someone smarter and better who's a lot closer.

And I'll be forgotten.

Why am I doing this?

My alarm goes off, scaring me out of my thoughts. Scarlett just groans, a slight skip in her snores as she hides her face in my chest.

"Sweetheart." I squeeze her.

"Five more minutes." She mumbles, pecking my chest.

Seeing how peaceful and content she is with me, I find myself holding on a little tighter. I can savor five more minutes of this.

*****

"Scarlett, it's time to wake up." I try for the tenth time, shaking her softly.

She shows signs of life as she moves her head. "Just five more minutes."

I laugh silently, shaking her in the process. "You said that twenty minutes ago."