37 ~ Thanks

The drive to the restaurant is comfortable.

We chat easily, something that slowly becomes easier as the effect wears off. I still get flustered every time I look at her but now I can speak.

Sadly, the restaurant has more than a few kids from our school inside, something that undoubtedly makes Scarlett uncomfortable. Reaching back, I grab her hand, leading her through the tables on the way to our own. I scan the faces, really hoping Avery isn't one of the people here. Instead, I make eye contact with the second to last person I want to see tonight.

Gabe.

He looks miserable, pouring salt onto the table while his date scrolls through her phone. Scarlett runs into my back as he silently asks for help and I shake my head. I didn't know he would be here tonight, I specifically tried to make reservations at a place he wouldn't be. Gabe has a special talent for embarrassing me and tonight is not the night for that to happen.

We eat, spending way too much time sharing stories and eating off each other's plate. There's something freeing about being with Scarlett. There's no worry about my secrets being shared or fear of being judged. There's no facade with her, I just get to be Ashton.

"What's the most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to you?" She asks, shoving a piece of bread in her mouth.

"I streaked around a block when I was sixteen, the video was everywhere the next day." I admit without thinking.

The bread falls from her mouth, "What made you want to do that?"

Oh, that part of the story. "I was drunk and this guy, Chase, offered me a crisp hundred-dollar bill so I did it."

If only I knew how shitty Chase was at the time. 

"That must've been mortifying." She says, clearly imagining it.

I smirk, "Nah, I'd never turn down an opportunity to show all this off." A roll gets chucked at me as she blushes. "The embarrassing part was explaining to my mom why her naked son was trending on the local Facebook page."

Her jaw drops, and I prepared for a hint of judgment, but she laughs, clutching her sides as tears begin to form.

"What about you, Ms. Perfect?" I demand.

That sobers her up, "Oh, probably the day I bled through and Avery called me Bloody Mary."

That's horrible. "Wow."

She shrugs, "It took a month for that one to disappear, but I got over it."

Still doesn't make it right but I don't argue when she changes the subject.

Walking out of the restaurant, we run into Gabe and his date, Ashley Nunez, the duo is the same situation as earlier. Out of all the girls Gabe could've been with how did he get stuck with her?

My sympathy vanishes as he eyes our intertwined hands, oh boy.

"Someone doesn't seem so upset anymore." He remarks to Scar, far too eager to tease us.

"Gabe, you should remind your date you still exist." She teases, reaching for the door.

Turning around as she leads me outside, I flip him off.

Good job, he mouths with two thumbs up.

Don't get any ideas I threaten before closing the door. I have a plan tonight that can't be ruined by him.

Instead of going to my truck we walk around, stopping to get ice cream along the way. We're still holding hands, something we haven't stopped doing since we left the restaurant. Glancing over I notice a strand of hair that's blown onto her face, without thinking my hand reaches up to fix it.